theScore, a wholly-owned subsidiary of PENN Entertainment , empowers millions of sports fans through its digital media and sports betting products. Its media app 'theScore' is one of the most popular in North America, delivering fans highly personalized live scores, news, stats, and betting information from their favorite teams, leagues, and players. theScore's sports betting app 'theScore Bet Sportsbook & Casino' delivers an immersive and holistic mobile sports betting and iCasino experience. theScore Bet is currently live in the Company's home province of Ontario. theScore also creates and distributes innovative digital content through its web, social and esports platforms.
About the Role & Team
As part of the Retail team, you will be working with a team of smart, friendly, and dedicated Engineers, Product Managers and Designers determined to deliver some of the best retail applications the market has to offer. This team will be developing retail based applications for kiosks, over the counter system, odds boards etc. The team will be responsible for building applications from its base using React and existing design components from theScore's library. This role will be responsible for the management of the base images supporting kiosk and OTC (Over The Counter) applications, the pipelines for deploying bundled base images and applications to hardware, and the development of fleet management and monitoring systems.
Note: This role requires interacting with hardware components that live in our offices in Toronto and Philadelphia. Occasional travel to the office to interact with these components will be necessary.
As a key member of our retail team, you will:
- Work with our preferred technology stack (Elixir, Phoenix, Rust, C/C++)
- Develop, scale, and optimize the deployment and management of a fleet of kiosks
- Participate in the design, architecture, and delivery of new features in a collaborative agile/scrum environment
- Have the opportunity to build:
- the APIs supporting kiosks and devices that betting users can interact with and that accepts card payments.
- the APIs supporting over the counter devices that employees interact with to accept cash/card for bet placement.
- the deployment pipeline of firmware and software images for kiosk and OTC hardware.
- the firmware and software for physical component hardware like card readers, betslip scanners, and more.
- the fleet management system for kiosks and other components.
- Build your components to interact with multiple microservices that use Elixir, Kafka, and more.
- Work with monitoring and alerting tools (DataDog, Bugsnag, PagerDuty)
- 5+ years experience in software development, specializing in back-end technologies, with strong competencies in distributed systems, networking, and system architecture.
- Passionate about clean code architecture, software craftsmanship, and testing.
- Experience with Git and GitHub or similar.
- Proficiency working in the terminal and editors of your choice.
- Experience with linux configuration, security, and package management.
- Experience with Rust.
- Experience with modern web framework and API development (Phoenix, Django, Node)
- Experience with profiling tools (pyspy, Pyroscope, xprof, datadog, NewRelic)
- Knowledge and familiarity with caching strategies and tools.
- Experience with IoT, kiosks, or embedded devices
- Experience with MaaS
- Experience with Elixir
- Experience with C/C++
- Experience with asynchronous event handling infrastructure (Apache Kafka, MQTT/RabbitMQ, AWS SQS/SNS, Google Cloud Pub/Sub)
- Familiarity with GCP and Kubernetes
- Contributions to open source software
- A passion for sports and/or esports
- A Competitive compensation package.
- A Comprehensive Benefits package, including Sick Days, Flexible Time Off, and Parental Leave, reimbursements for education, reimbursements for conferences
- Regular knowledge and learning sessions for your expertise.
- Opportunities for career progression, career mentorship, and mentoring other developers.
- Remote work.
theScore is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability or age.