Our amazing team is expanding!
At Sandbox we are a multidisciplinary team at the intersection of media, design and technology and have a passion for learning. We work hard and venture into new territory to deliver beautiful, out-of-the-box digital media and learning products. We strive to make a difference for clients who work to improve lives on a global scale, from UNICEF to the World Health Organization, from TEDx to the Canadian Institute for Advanced Research.
What’s in it for you?
At Sandbox you’ll get to:
- Join a small and mighty team of filmmakers, designers, technologists, educators, researchers, and operational maestros who share knowledge and grow together
- Work in a dynamic agency environment with a lot of autonomy and plenty of opportunity to exercise your creativity on client-driven and homegrown products
- Stretch your skills and have opportunities for a range of career pathways, whether you love media, technology, learning or all of them
- Use your skills to make a difference, whether you’re interested in improving education, health, the economy, our communities or the environment
- Enjoy a flexible work environment with a hybrid office, four weeks of vacation, health and dental benefits, attractive salary progression and professional development opportunities
We are looking for a full-time Associate Producer to play a pivotal role in driving Sandbox’s unique take on explanatory journalism and expertise in blending media production and digital learning. The role will involve leading a portfolio of projects composed of about 50% animation and 50% of live action, with an increasing focus on mixed format productions. The Associate Producer will support the Content Producer / Project Lead by contributing, and over time, leading projects, ensuring they meet our diverse clients goals as well as the company’s goals to continuously push the boundaries of thoughtful and impactful visual storytelling. The Associate Producer reports to the Content Producer / Project Lead and collaborates closely with the whole Sandbox team.
Specifically, the role involves:
Creative and technical research, writing and editing (40%)
- Conduct background research in support of various media-driven projects, whether educational or oriented towards communications and marketing. This includes story and visual research.
- Develop creative and technical written content in a wide range of formats (e.g. interview questions, video scripts, etc.)
- Review and edit creative and technical written content written by internal and external team members
- Lead conceptualizing and writing for project proposals and grant applications
Project leadership support and quality assurance (30%)
- In collaboration with the Content Producer / Project Lead and other team members as needed, conceptualize original and story-driven video content in multiple formats (live action, animation, mixed format) for a portfolio of 3-5 simultaneous projects of different sizes and levels of development, for both educational and promotional purposes
- In collaboration with the Content Producer / Project Lead and the Production Manager, prepare project scoping documents and use project management tools to ensure efficient team work and client relations
- In collaboration with the Content Producer / Project Lead, provide constructive feedback to internal and external project team members, through an open communication approach and project management tools and best practices
- Under the guidance of the Content Producer / Project Lead, manage project execution and quality control from development to final delivery, providing feedback on scripts, assets, and video cuts
Media department process innovation (15%)
- In collaboration with the Production Manager, identify and implement best practices to improve media production processes to support high quality within tight timelines
- In collaboration with the Production Manager and other Project Leads identify and implement best practices to improve the process of creating media-driven learning products and measuring product impact
- Proactively research, test and incorporate the use of artificial intelligence tools into the media department to increase the efficiency and quality of written and visual work
Client management and communications (15%)
- In collaboration with the Content Producer / Project Lead, lead client communications, in writing and through meetings, ensuring client needs are understood, their expectations managed, and project goals are met
- Identify any concerns regarding timing, quality or scope and proactively raise them, alongside proposed solutions, to Production Manager and CEO/Executive Producer
What You Bring to the Table
- A minimum of 5-8 years of experience in the media production industry, with at least 2 years in a management/leadership role at a production company or agency environment
- You have excellent and versatile writing skills, that apply to creative, promotional and technical writing
- You communicate with tact, diplomacy and clarity in writing and verbally
- You have a strong eye for aesthetics
- You have an interest in animation, documentary and explanatory journalism
- You have experience managing multiple projects with tight timelines and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- You are a self-starter, love to solve problems and to learn from challenges
- You are comfortable leading interdisciplinary creative and technical teams with diverse skills sets, including skills that you may not have yourself
- You have completed a university degree, a college diploma, an industry certification, or other training equipping you with skills relevant to the opportunity
Don’t sweat it if you don’t have everything listed above. We believe in growth and curiosity. If you have some of these qualities and are excited about this opportunity, then we want to hear from you!
The Hiring Process
We thank all candidates for their interest. Only applications submitted through Indeed will be considered, and only individuals invited to participate in the next step in the hiring process will be contacted.
The hiring process involves the following steps:
- Submit your CV and cover letter
- Complete a skills assessment
- First interview
- Second interview, including a short written assignment
The offices of Sandbox Inc. are located in downtown Toronto, just south of Trinity Bellwoods park. Our team currently operates on a hybrid model, with some days in the office and some days remote.
Thanks for your interest and we look forward to meeting you!
The Sandbox team
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $60,000.00-$70,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- Work from home
- Have you submitted your resume and a cover letter?
- What educational credentials relevant to the role do you have?
- How many years of experience relevant to the role do you have?
- Please include a link to a portfolio of work (at least 3 examples) that demonstrates strong media writing skills.
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Toronto, ON