The Globe and Mail is a national icon and one of Canada's most recognized media brands. We proudly serve as a trusted destination for Canadians seeking the highest caliber of journalism, and we've garnered international acclaim for our data visualization, design, and creative storytelling.
We are committed to fostering diversity and inclusivity by reflecting all Canadians in both the stories that we tell and the composition of our workforce. We are proud partners with organizations like Indigenous Works, Pride at Work, the Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion, and we are a signatory of the BlackNorth Initiative. Recognizing the importance of work-life balance, we offer flexible work arrangements and support programs. We also invest in our employees' growth through training and mentorship opportunities, enabling you to expand your skills and embrace new challenges.
No matter your position at The Globe, you'll be an integral part of an organization dedicated to making a positive difference in Canada. Join us.
We are seeking a Director of Events to lead and grow our commercial event business, including the expansion of our existing portfolio of 60+ live, virtual and hybrid events, and to successfully launch of a new signature series targeted to senior executives. This role will be responsible for achieving annual revenue and margin objectives, and will lead the development, planning and execution of all commercial Globe Events. As well, the Director of Events will oversee the Globe Events team with responsibility for all content development, sponsor and ticket revenue generation, and event execution.
- Oversee the Globe Events team to achieve revenue and margin goals through the development and execution of sponsorship and ticket revenue strategies.
- Work with internal teams and partners (Editorial, Advertising Sales and Marketing teams) to develop, execute and monetize an event lineup consisting of 60-70 events per year.
- Develop and manage departmental budgets (revenue and expenses) for the Globe Event revenue stream.
- Track overall performance goals vs. budget and targets and provide reporting and insights as required.
- Participate in the development of forecasts and annual budgets.
- Oversee the Event sales team to design and manage client prospecting and sales strategies including increasing effective working prospects; developing and stewarding client accounts; responding to inquiries; educating and guiding potential clients on available services, confirming and administrating sponsorship bookings.
- Develop and manage strategic partnerships (including internal) to leverage opportunities. Responding to client, media and internal requests for information and materials.
- Manage the administration of the booking, payment processing and financial reporting.
- Working closely with Event services team members as well as other departments (Finance, Marketing, Events) to strengthen communication standards, partnerships and operating procedures, including vendor coordination, client stewardship and business reporting, and troubleshooting client issues.
- Manage support staff and task assignment to ensure conformance with department objectives and goals. Supervise, direct, and coordinate the activities of personnel, subcontractors and vendors as required.
- Collaborate with legal as needed on vendor and client contracts, ensuring adherence to Globe standards with regards to data and privacy.
- Represent The Globe and Mail at meetings and events as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary degree from a recognized institution in a related field.
- Minimum 5+ years in a senior event leadership/management role, ideally overseeing sales and marketing responsibilities for an event-related business specializing in events with 1000+ attendees.
- Minimum 10+ years in an events environment, meeting the needs of a wide variety of clients and other stakeholders with superb organization and customer service skills, preferably in a dedicated venue.
- Experience in both developing and executing business plans.
- Some experience in the development and oversight of vendor led research projects
- Knowledge and understanding of financial spread sheets and Powerpoint or keynote development.
- Sales Presentation development and execution (Powerpoint/Keynote etc.).
- Expert at business writing for the purposes of marketing, communications, letter, proposals, business plans, etc.
- Expert at CRM, booking platforms and reporting software.
- Expert at using online research tools (including LinkedIn Sales Navigator).
- Vision and creativity: ability to embrace an ambitious vision and bring it to life as well as trouble-shoot and solve problems under pressure.
- Communications: strong ability to connect with clients, the community and stakeholders to establish positive and productive ongoing relationships.
- Willing to work flexible hours.
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
WHY CHOOSE THE GLOBE:
The Globe’s mission is to deliver essential content – news, information, analysis and insights – for aspiring individuals and strong communities. The Globe is committed to providing a respectful and inclusive workplace that upholds our values of integrity, collaboration, innovation and accountability.
As Canada’s most respected media brand The Globe is dedicated to making a difference to Canada and you can make a difference by working with us.
SUPPORTING YOUR GROWTH:
- Competitive compensation to ensure we hire, retain and reward team members
- Hybrid work environment that promotes work-life balance
- Generous vacation and flexible work arrangements
- Parental leave top-up
- Competitive health and dental benefits
- Defined benefit pension plan
- Annual wellness subsidy
- On-site chiropractor and registered massage therapist
- Employee and family assistance program
- Free digital subscription to globeandmail.com and 40% off other Globe products
- Education assistance for external training courses
- We are committed to creating equitable opportunities for all employees, to enable everyone to reach their full potential. This commitment is embedded in our strategic plan and core values.
- There are lateral and upward advancement opportunities for rewarding and developing careers.
- We believe in mentorship and collaborative peer-to-peer learning and have both formal and informal programs in place to encourage knowledge-sharing.
- We support continuing education and provide both internal and external opportunities for training and development.
All offers of employment with The Globe and Mail are conditional upon the candidate being Fully Vaccinated. To be Fully Vaccinated is defined as someone who has received the full series of a vaccine or a combination of vaccines accepted by the Government of Canada (currently Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Janssen) and has received the last dose at least 14 days prior to their start date. To prove they are Fully Vaccinated, all new hires will be required to provide evidence by emailing a copy of their vaccine dose administration receipt(s) to Human Resources prior to their start date. Those seeking exemption based on one or more of the protected grounds in the Human Rights Code will need to provide their request for accommodation to Human Resources for approval. If the accommodation request is not approved and the candidate is not Fully Vaccinated, any offer of employment will be revoked.
THE GLOBE AND MAIL IS DEDICATED TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION IN THE WORKPLACE
The Globe and Mail is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible work environment, where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. We believe this strengthens our business and our journalism. We welcome and encourage applications from individuals from all groups, regardless of race, ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual orientation, religion, socio-economic status, age, and physical ability. As required by the Federal Contractors Program, The Globe also tracks the proportion of staff in the four Employment Equity categories (Women, Aboriginal Peoples, Persons with Disabilities, and Members of Visible Minorities) to ensure we are reflecting the areas in which we work.
The Globe and Mail offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities as part of its recruitment process. If you are contacted to arrange for an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.