5303 50th Avenue, Lamont AB T0B 2R0
P: 780-895-2233 F: 780-895-7404
Economic Development Officer, Planning & Community Services
Lamont County is located less than 45 minutes east of Edmonton and is part of Alberta’s Industrial Heartland. With a population of approx. 4,000 and a service area of over 9,500 residents, we contribute to over 40 major industrial companies and investments of over $45B. The County is adjacent to Strathcona County and the City of Fort
Saskatchewan, as well as many important municipalities in the region. Lamont County is a great place to work!
We are the Cradle of Ukrainian Settlement in Canada, including the honour of having the first Ukrainian settlers in
Canada, and over 40 historical churches—the County is designated the Church Capital of North America.
We offer exciting and challenging job opportunities focused on delivering and supporting high-quality programs and services to our residents.
Lamont County is seeking experienced and highly motivated individuals to join our team. We are looking and Economic
Development Officer as part of the Planning and Community Services department.
The Economic Development Officer is a senior position accountable to the Director of Planning & Community Services.
This individual is responsible for creating the opportunity for Lamont County to be a sustainable community with a balance between economic growth, social well-being, and environmental awareness.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops and implements an Economic Development Framework which includes business attraction, retention and expansion strategies, and tourism awareness/promotion.
- Works collaboratively with regional partnerships, including Alberta Industrial Heartland Association (AIHA),
Regional Economic Development Alliance (REDA) of Northeast Alberta (Alberta HUB), and Go East of EdmontonTourism.
- Works collaboratively with the five urban municipalities within the County.
- Fosters and maintains working relationships with other orders of government and stakeholders.
- Maintains current economic development information from regional, provincial, national and international sources and responds to information requests from the general public, business and the industrial community – including Alberta Industrial Heartland Association. This includes the preparation of profile bid packages as required for industrial, commercial and residential bidding opportunities.
- Attends meetings and conferences, and assists with corporate projects such as trade shows, public presentations and displays.
- Prepares reports, make presentations and provides professional advice to the Director of Planning and
Community Services, the CAO, and Lamont County Council – and assists in the logistics of all economic development functions as required.
- Guides tourism initiatives.
- Responsible for carrying-out established policies, recommending changes and drafting new policy as directed.
- Works with the Agricultural Fieldman on value-added Agricultural Economic Development Initiatives, which may include Hemp and Canola Industry opportunities.
- Other administrative functions: o Provides leadership, guidance and administrative support to local business development organizations as directed by the Director of Planning and Community Services and/or the CAO.
Economic Development Officer– Lamont County, August 2023 Page 1* of 3*
o Develops and maintains promotional materials in coordination with the Communications Department, including the economic development website content. o Enhances tourism in the region and represents the County as the liaison with the Ukrainian Cultural
Heritage Village, Elk Island National Park, Métis Crossing and the historical Church tour. o Prepares the annual economic development and tourism budgets, and maintains cost control throughout the year. o May be required to supervise and oversee staff as applicable.
- Participates as a member of the Heartland Economic Development Leaders’ group.
- Assume other related duties as deemed necessary by the Director of Planning & Community Services and/or the
- Evening and weekend work may be occasionally required along with business travel.
- Occasional international travel as a member of an Alberta's Industrial Heartland mission and other initiatives may be required.
- Ensures safe working practices are observed at all times and promotes workplace safety.
- Reports all Occupational Health and Safety related injuries to the Health & Safety Advisor.
- Submits reports on accidents and other hazardous conditions promptly.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Post secondary education, preferably in economic development/business related field.
- Economic Developer Alberta (EDA) membership is considered an asset.
- Five (5+) years of relevant experience in economic development.
- Experience attracting and retaining heavy industrial investment is desired.
- Knowledge of energy sector, specifically Alberta Industrial Heartland.
- Knowledge of economic development history of the region and industrial development practices is considered an asset.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, along with the ability to inspire confidence and trust with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong strategic and analytical capabilities to apply knowledge of public and private economic development techniques and resources to complex issues.
- Able to work cooperatively with the management team and support other departments.
- Able to identify community economic development opportunities.
- Strong integrity, ethical conduct, and political acumen.
- Strong leadership and management skills with the ability to coach and mentor.
- Intermediate computer skills, including efficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, PowerPoint,
Word, Excel, and Teams).
- Able to exercise discretion and good judgement, while making decisions that serve the overall vision and values of Lamont County.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Lamont County is committed to protecting the health and safety of its employees, all personnel are governed by the
County’s Health & Safety Program. This position has the following pre-screening requirements:
- Possesses a valid Class 5 Alberta Driver's License with a clean drivers' abstract.
- A satisfactory Criminal Record Check.
This position is based on a 35-hour work week, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
What we offer?
- We are a growing municipality that is focused on energy, agriculture, and tourism.
- Staff engagement and satisfaction are crucial to our success. Our leadership team values your voice and input and welcomes feedback.
- We support local charities and the Lamont County foodbank.
Economic Development Officer– Lamont County, August 2023 Page 2* of 3*
- We are connected to each other and access to other employees is easy for advice, support or answers (both in person and virtually).
- Parking is free at our administration and public works/agriculture services buildings, located within the town of
- We offer a defined benefit pension plan, a comprehensive health and dental benefits plan, education and membership opportunities, statutory holidays t– with salary and vacation commensurate with experience.
Lamont County: Make it Safe! Make it Personal! Make it Home!
This competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Internal and external candidates will be considered.
Lamont County is committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace and to promoting the health and well-being of its employees. We are a smoke-free environment; smoking & vaping is permitted in designated outdoor areas only.
Please forward your application in one of the following ways (as one PDF or Word document only):
Email: [email protected]
Lamont County thanks all applicants for their interest. Please Note: only those individuals who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. Please indicate in your application which position you are applying for and submit a separate application for different positions. All resumes are retained on file for a period of six months.
Economic Development Officer– Lamont County, August 2023 Page 3* of 3*
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $120,000.00-$140,000.00 per year
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
Work Location: In person