Before You Apply, Please Note:
- Do Not Call: We kindly request that you refrain from making phone inquiries regarding your application status. We will only contact candidates who have been shortlisted for further consideration.
- Local Candidates: To be eligible for this position, applicants must reside locally within our specified area.
- In-Person Interview: Qualified candidates should be prepared to attend an in-person interview at our head office, conveniently located in Nanaimo, BC.
- Pre-Screening Questions: Please complete all the pre-screening questions; Your application won't be considered otherwise.
We appreciate your understanding and cooperation in adhering to these guidelines. Thank you for your interest in joining our team.
SCS Manufacturing, Inc., a division of The Hazelwood Group, is seeking a full-time Welder to join our team of hard-working, dedicated staff at our production facility in South Nanaimo, BC.
Our ideal candidate has at least two years of experience and isn’t afraid of a fast-paced, lean manufacturing environment. We manufacture everything from small parts to steel gravel boxes, so speed, accuracy, and attention to detail are desired traits.
Benefits of Employment – Why work at SCS?
- Matching RRSP contributions after 1 year of employment.
- Benefits after 3 months (health & dental premiums are 100% employer-paid).
- Short-term and long-term disability coverage.
- Priority access to TELUS Health Virtual Care (access to a Doctor 24/7, 365 days a year).
- Annual financial donations to volunteer organizations directly supported by our employees.
- Employee & Family Assistance Program.
- Supportive, respectful, and forward-thinking leadership team that values employee input and ideas.
- $25-$30 per hour, depending on experience and education.
The position of Welder includes, but is not limited to production welding, service & repair welding, and prototype building. Responsibilities will include repairs, the fabrication of custom prototypes from supplied drawings, the fabrication of custom container systems and fixtures to produce production parts that meet customer specifications, as well as the fabrication of metal structures using jigs and fixtures in a high-paced production environment.
The use of various hand tools, machinery, and equipment will be required to manufacture metal products. This position will work with Managers and other employees to ensure continuous improvements in work processes, hitting quotas, and welding according to pre-set parameters using MIG, ARC, and TIG welding processes. The ability to scan in and out of work orders is a must. The Welder will be required to assist the Design Department with insight and knowledge of superior manufacturing methods, perform random maintenance on returned products to be refurbished or reworked to customer specifications, and have strong knowledge and skill in operating all metalworking machinery. Additionally, the Journeyman Welder will be required to read and understand production drawings, blueprints, work orders, and other written instructions.
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent.
- Previous experience as a Welder.
- Valid welding certification, Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW), Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW), certified in all positions.
- Possess a valid driver's license.
- Ability to work independently in a busy environment.
- Experience with routine maintenance operations.
- Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment.
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Able to work well under pressure.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times.
- Computer literate.
SCS Manufacturing, Inc. is a central Vancouver Island manufacturer of Waste Containers, Flat Decks, Gravel Boxes, and open-top containers. SCS also provides custom fabrication and design services to our clients. SCS services the Waste, Construction, Oil and Gas, Forestry, and Mining industries in Western Canada and Alaska.
Thank you for considering a career opportunity with The Hazelwood Group. We appreciate your interest in joining our team. Before you proceed with your application, please take note of the following important points:
Application Submission: The submission of your resume does not guarantee an interview or an actual transfer. Our hiring process is designed to identify the most qualified candidates who align with our organization's needs.
Minimum Requirements: We encourage qualified applicants to apply for our open positions. However, to be considered, you must meet the minimum requirements related to the skills and qualifications specified in the job posting.
Legally Entitled to Work in Canada: Please be aware that you must be legally entitled to work in Canada to apply for a position with The Hazelwood Group. Our organization does not possess a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) that would support the hiring of foreign workers.
Acknowledgment: We sincerely appreciate the interest of all applicants in pursuing career opportunities with The Hazelwood Group. However, due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regret that only those candidates selected for an interview will receive a response to their application.
We look forward to considering your application if you meet the qualifications for our current job openings. Your interest in our organization is valued, and we wish you success in your job search.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $25.00-$30.00 per hour
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Vision care
Supplemental pay types:
- SCS is not accessible by transit. Do you have reliable transportation?
- Are you currently located in the Nanaimo area?
- Do you have a valid welding certification? (Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW), Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW), certified in all positions)
- Please include your email address if it is not currently on your resume.
- What's your availability to come in for an interview?
- When could you start?
- Welding: 3 years (preferred)
Work Location: In person