As part of a development team, the Junior Developer creates efficient and effective technology based solutions to meet the operational needs of Students’ Union departments as defined by the Senior Developer. This may involve web, desktop, or mobile applications, and encompass both the development of in-house solutions and the integration of commercial or external solutions into Students’ Union workflows.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborating with a team of IT professionals to set specifications for new applications.
- Write high quality source code to program complete applications within deadlines.
- Write and maintain automated test scripts to ensure application stability
- Developing technical documents and handbooks to accurately represent application design and code.
- Troubleshoot and debug applications.
- Maintain existing software systems and solutions.
- Adhering to coding standards and practices.
- Understanding client requirements and how they translate in application features.
- Perform other duties as required to meet the mandate of the position.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Related degree, diploma, or 2+ years experience in software development.
- Ability to program in at least one backend programming language such as Python, PHP, etc.
- Ability to work responsibly and in an organized manner, with little or no supervision.
- Ability to work collaboratively and productively in a team environment.
- In-depth knowledge of programming for diverse operating systems and platforms using development tools
- Excellent understanding of software design and programming principles.
- Analytical thinking and problem-solving capability.
- Successful candidates may be required to provide a satisfactory Criminal Background Check as a condition of employment.
- Experience with Unix-based operating systems (Ubuntu), Mac OS X, and Windows.
- Experience with Django, CodeIgniter, or a SPA framework (Angular, React, Vue.js).
- Experience with relational databases like MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Knowledge of the Students’ Union and familiarity with its operations.
EQUITY AND INCLUSION
The UASU’s mission is to serve, engage, and represent students. To do that well we need an organization that is representative of the students we serve. We are committed to creating a diverse environment that fosters a sense of belonging and empowerment. We actively encourage applications from members of groups experiencing barriers to equity.
Applications for this position will be accepted until 5:00 PM on September 30, 2023