In this role, you will report to the Electrical Engineering Manager and be responsible for achieving excellence in electrical engineering for electromechanical products including steering and driveline products for the automotive industry. You will use your knowledge of both hardware and software to develop and support production of a variety of new chassis components with a dynamic team, finding solutions to interesting challenges.\
Why work for JTEKT North America’s Technical Center in Halifax, NS?
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Hybrid flexible work environment •Top 20 automotive supplier •Electrification/Innovation projects
- Diverse projects •Small collaborative teams •Cross-functional career opportunities
- Career advancement through US/Japan •Recognized career contributions
- Develop and maintain a responsive and cooperative working relationship with internal and external customers. Treat everyone with dignity, trust and respect.
- Create test plans, procedures, and reports. Review and ensure test efficiency by validating in hardware.
- Circuit and PCB design and simulation. Knowledge of design for EMC, EMI, manufacturing.
- Record anomalies and deviations in the quality management system/engineering systems.
- Assist in root cause analysis for open customer support or other items as assigned.
- Propose corrective actions for resolutions to manufacturing and quality problems due to processes or equipment.
- Conduct hand soldering (SMT, cleaning, application/removal of conformal coating, and other processes as assigned).
- Participate in the production and/or project meetings; offering feedback and guidance.
- Assist in generating engineering and production documentation.
- Conduct test procedures, problem reports, and giving client feedback.
- Maintain and protect corporate IP, systems, tools, data and customer proprietary information.
- Consistently follows and complies with defined processes and workflows.
- Contributes design suggestions and ideas into the design process.
- Demonstrates competency in the use of lab tools and debug / analysis instruments.
- Applies logical thought and debug approach in trouble-shooting and circuit analysis.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to create supporting documentation such as design documents, architecture diagrams, test procedures and reports
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Technical writing is well structured, effective in purpose, free of grammatical errors and succinct.
- Experience in the use of Gerber Viewer, CAD, PCB Layout Software, and a high-level of general PCB knowledge.
- Experience with soldering equipment, fine pitch assembly.
- Excellent knowledge of surface mount, thru-hole assembly and manual soldering processes, including component preparation, and selective soldering.
- A “can-do” attitude with a desire to be a team player.
- Troubleshooting of printed circuit board and assembly failures to determine root cause and implement corrective actions using various analytical tools such as 8D, 5Y, PDCA, etc.
- Experience with the design or creation of test fixtures/test jigs
- Experience with embedded software/microprocessors.
- Experience with the use and application of digital multimeters, oscilloscopes, function generators.
- Experience with electronics inspection.
Education and Experience:
- Working knowledge of embedded software development. Working knowledge of scripting languages for test development.
- Knowledge in motor control theory for brushless motors and practical experience in evaluating those controls on dynamometers.
- Working knowledge, understanding, and experience with design, evaluation and integration of vehicle control systems and/or vehicle sub systems, diagnostics, control modules/software, and electrical systems
- Working knowledge of CAN communication tools (ie Vector CANape), and/or other tools and processes related to automotive product development
- Bachelor Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or Computer Science.
- 5-7 years’ experience
- Work is performed in a normal office setting with minimal exposure to health or safety hazards, and with substantial time spent working on a computer.
- The performance of this position may occasionally require exposure to manufacturing areas which require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with side shields and mandatory hearing protection.
- The position requires laboratory work requiring mandatory safety equipment when required.
- Travel by automobile and plane required approximately 5-10% of time.