There is a full-time permanent (1.0) Building Environmental Systems Head Custodian position available at Goderich District Collegiate Institute (GDCI) located in Goderich, Ontario effective immediately.
Job Specifications & Requirements
Education & Experience
- A secondary school diploma is required.
- Post secondary certification in the Building Environmental Systems (BES) and Building Environmental Systems Facility Manager (minimum “B” grade) or equivalent programs are required
- 5 years experience in corporate building maintenance/repair and effective leadership skills; or,
- Provincial certificate of qualification as a Plumber or Electrician or Millworker/Cabinet Makers or Millwright or General Carpenter (Red Seal)
- 5 years experience in the trades and corporate building maintenance/repair and effective leadership skills.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Advanced ability to detect and anticipate problems requiring repair and to coordinate the necessary resources required to remediate the problem, offering support and technical advice as needed;
- Advanced technical aptitude with respect to all mechanical and electrical applications, including building control systems, water and sewage, including the operations and maintenance of HVAC systems, as well as plumbing and electrical maintenance;
- Excellent computer literacy skills and ability to effectively utilize facilities management software suite, Board email and other applicable software packages (i.e. SmartFind Express);
- Experience in safe cleaning methods, materials and equipment;
- Ability to use and repair/maintenance of hand tools, small power tools, gardening tools;
- Ability to use and repair/maintenance of cleaning equipment (snow plow, lawn mower, buffers, auto scrubbers, carpet extractors, etc.); and,
- Ability to safely use various types of pipe, wire, lumber, building materials, cleaning supplies, ladders and scaffolds.
Regulation & Compliance
- Good knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, WHMIS and related regulations, Asbestos Management System, Ontario Fire Code as it relates to the position;
- Advanced ability to comprehend manuals, safety guidelines and other materials to determine their applicability to the working environment and to monitor compliance with guidelines;
- Ability to learn new systems and processes, either through documentation, demonstration or other direction and to apply those systems in the worksite; and,
- Strong ability to understand the requirement for privacy, to respect confidentiality of information and to practice tact and diplomacy.
Communication & Personal
- Advanced ability to communicate effectively, written and oral, with public, visitors, contractors, staff, students, supervisor, co-workers and administration;
- Advanced ability to effectively manage changing conditions and continuous improvements; be adaptable and receptive to new ideas and change and acting as a positive change agent within the worksite;
- Strong demonstrated record of taking the initiative to identify, solve or prevent problems and capitalize on opportunities through effective communication, teamwork and other appropriate approaches; and,
- Advanced ability to work well with a variety of people and respond constructively to special needs and requests.
Organization, Management and Leadership
- Advanced ability to organize both priorities and people in changing environment;
- Advanced ability to organize and lead site-based implementation of system initiatives involving multiple people and new systems or processes;
- Advanced ability to motivate and organize custodians by instruction, demonstration or example;
- Strong leadership skills, including ability to coordinate, organize, delegate responsibilities and communicate effectively within a large team;
- Strong ability to effectively resolve and reduce conflict amongst peers; and,
- Satisfactory attendance will be a consideration when awarding this position.
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week
Rate of Pay: Group D Grid ($28.64 per hour) in accordance with the Building Environmental Systems Head Custodian, UNIFOR Collective Agreement
Health & Dental Benefits: Extended and Supplementary Health, Paramedical Services, Dental, including Orthodontics, Out of Province/Country and Health Care Spending Account
Pension Plan: Defined pension plan through the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS)
Employment Start Date: Immediately
Interested applicants are requested to apply through amdsb.simplication.com (steps are below) and include three supervisory references by 4:00 pm on Monday, October 2, 2023.
How to Apply?
- Register/Login to amdsb.simplication.com
If you require assistance with amdsb.simplication.com, please call Simplication customer service at 1-877-900-5627 or [email protected] (Monday - Friday: 7:30am-7:00pm).
We thank all applicants for their interest in opportunities with the Avon Maitland District School Board. Contact will be made with applicants whose experience and qualifications most closely match the requirements of the position.
Communication with short-listed applicants will be made through the contact information (email address and/or phone number) provided on the applicant’s amdsb.simplication.com profile page.