theScore, a wholly-owned subsidiary of PENN Entertainment , empowers millions of sports fans through its digital media and sports betting products. Its media app 'theScore' is one of the most popular in North America, delivering fans highly personalized live scores, news, stats, and betting information from their favorite teams, leagues, and players. theScore's sports betting app 'theScore Bet Sportsbook & Casino' delivers an immersive and holistic mobile sports betting and iCasino experience. theScore Bet is currently live in the Company's home province of Ontario. theScore also creates and distributes innovative digital content through its web, social and esports platforms.
About the Role & Team
Join our dynamic Content team at theScore and play a key role in shaping the future of sports news. Our mission is to provide the most comprehensive and engaging sports news experience for our users by leveraging cutting-edge technology and delivering real-time, accurate and personalized content. As an engineer on our team, you'll work on meaningful and challenging projects to develop and enhance our flagship news feed feature, used by millions of fans across the United States and Canada. We foster a culture of innovation, collaboration and continuous improvement where each team member can learn, grow and make an impact.
About the Work
- Work with our preferred technology stack of Elixir, Phoenix, and LiveView. We also maintain some Ruby and Python services that will eventually be migrated over.
- Ensure appropriate monitoring and alerting is in place (we're heavy DataDog users).
- Build internal web tools in Ruby on Rails, Phoenix and LiveView to help other employees visualize and debug our data and systems.
- Participate in the design, architecture, and delivery of new features in a collaborative agile/scrum environment.
- Participate occasionally in pair programming to implement features and unblock team members.
- Participate in triage duty rotation to answer questions and help debug day-to-day challenges submitted by colleagues from different departments.
- Mentor other team members to help them level up their technical skills.
- Deploy services and applications to Amazon EKS.
- Participate in our on-call rotation so that we can triage critical issues during off-business hours.
- Other duties as required.
- A solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, distributed systems, and software design.
- Passionate about clean code architecture and software craftsmanship.
- Experience with modern web framework and API development
- Experience with Git and GitHub or similar.
- A strong grasp and experience with relational databases; including PostgreSQL and MySQL.
- Experience with consuming and integrating with third party APIs.
- Experience with background job processing (Oban, Broadway, Exq, Sidekiq, Celery, Beanstalk, RabbitMQ, Kafka).
- Comfortable working in the terminal.
- Familiarity with Kubernetes.
- Proficiency within an editor of your choice.
- Experience with testing frameworks such as ExUnit, RSpec, Jest, pytest or equivalent.
- Experience working with profiling tools such as Splunk, DataDog or equivalent.
- Knowledge and familiarity with caching strategies and tools.
What We Offer
- Competitive compensation package.
- Fun, relaxed work environment.
- Education and conference reimbursements.
- Parental leave top up.
- Opportunities for career progression and mentoring others.
theScore is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability or age.