Join the HR/Operations Team in the Department of Surgery at McMaster University!
We have an exciting opportunity for an Operations Site Coordinator in the Department of Surgery. This is a key leadership role within the Administration team, overseeing day-to-day HR Operations.
This position is directly involved in carrying out strategic initiatives and priorities within the department, such as process improvements, organizational collaboration, and engagement strategies.
We are searching for a candidate that is values-driven, enthusiastic and takes a positive, proactive approach towards solving problems. If you want to make your mark in a fast-paced environment, this may be the role for you!
Learn more about this opportunity below.
About the Department of Surgery
Over its 50+ year history, the McMaster Department of Surgery has maintained a steadfast commitment towards thinking big and making it possible.
We are a department with 11 surgical divisions and Royal College residency training programs; together, we are poised to unleash a future fueled by a creative mindset and powered by our people.
The successful candidate will bring a positive, solutions-focused mindset, as we collectively work towards achieving the Department Vision. This Vision is based on 6 core tenets:
We commit to an inclusive Culture
Research that impacts
Education that inspires
Advancement for all
Transformation through innovation
Excellence in patient care
About McMaster University
At McMaster University, our people are our most valuable asset. We strive to attract, develop, and retain the talented faculty and staff, and to foster inclusive excellence which values the strengths, perspectives, and contributions of each individual. McMaster’s profile and stature has evolved to one of the Top 70 Universities in the World and recognition as Canada’s Most Research Intense University. McMaster is recognized as one of the top employers in the Hamilton/Niagara region and has been recognized as one of Canada’s Top Diversity employers.
Working at McMaster University brings a robust total rewards package, which is more than just a salary. The elements and structure of the total rewards packages vary by employee group but include:
- Employer Paid benefits including Extended Health, Dental, Emergency Out-of-Country Travel Coverage & Basic Life Insurance;
- Pension Plan Options & Post-Retirement Benefits;
- Training, coaching and professional development opportunities;
- Employee tuition assistance for development and education
- Opportunity to be a part of an academic environment working alongside professionals who share a passion for learning;
- Progressive paid annual vacation plan
Please see Total Rewards Overview for The Management Group (TMG) for more Information.
About the Position
The Operations Site Coordinator is responsible for implementing and maintaining the efficient operation of approximately 200 support staff for surgical practices and research groups across multiple hospital sites at Hamilton Health Sciences and St. Joseph’s Healthcare.
This position calls for independent decision making, in conjunction with the Director of Administration and HR Strategic Partner, and for the exercise of leadership in the management of support services. The Operations Site Coordinator will provide effective office management for the administrative support structure at the designated hospital sites, including recruitment activities, orientation, training, facilitating leave of absences, staffing, development of staff and providing guidance and advice to employees and department leaders. The Operations Site Coordinator conducts regular reporting and auditing of employment data, such as tracking contract end dates, monitoring employee leaves, probationary review dates and vacation balances.
The Operations Site Coordinator will act as an advisor to employees and leaders to determine needs and scope of the work to be performed, assuming a leadership role to ensure efficient coordination of the project in conjunction with adherence to appropriate University and Hospital standards, policies, guidelines and directives. The individual is expected to maintain a good rapport with Hospital partners while strategically protecting the interests of the Department and University.
- Provides effective office management for the administrative support structure at the designated sites.
- Provides front line service to faculty and staff and in consultation with the Director of Administration and HR Strategic Partner, sets standards for the quality of the Department’s services.
- Ensures provision of services by training, providing guidance and advice and carrying out supervisory responsibilities with respect to the support staff at the hospital site. Ensures that the administrative support needs of the department faculty and staff are competently and efficiently met.
- Supports departmental function and purpose. Coordinates, organizes, maintains and provides information. Implements efficient record keeping systems including attendance and health and safety training and ensures payroll is submitted for all staff. This will include temporary casual as well as salaried employees.
- Regularly allocates staff to assist in offices/areas that are overwhelmed, staff off due to sickness/vacation and to clear any back log of work. Establishes work priorities and schedules in consultation with the Faculty Supervisor.
- In consultation with the HR Strategic Partner, the Coordinator acts as a department resource person in relation to Collective Agreements, hiring procedures, benefits, vacation, sick time, LTD, incident/injury reporting and payroll process for faculty and staff.
- First point of contact for staff regarding work related issues and concerns.
- Performs payroll entry (timesheets) and approval functions in Mosaic payroll module in a timely manner.
- Prepares job postings using Mosaic recruitment module and assists in the preparation of job descriptions for staff at designated sites.
- Participates in the recruitment process for vacant positions such as screening candidate lists, interviewing candidates, reference checks and making hiring decisions.
- Manages the physical resources with inventory, equipment and space. Has decision making authority in these areas at all sites. Regularly confers with Department Administrator to allocate offices, arrange for purchase of furniture and computer equipment. Responsible for the set up of all offices/work space within the Department of Surgery. Liaise with the facilities management team at the designated site, FHS and University in order to assist with facilitating moves.
- Understanding of the Facilities Management processes within the Hospitals, Faculty of Health Sciences and the University in order to assist with facilitating moves (new faculty and staff).
- Ensure staff complies with the health and safety training requirements for their roles.
- Other duties as assigned.
Are you the Right Candidate?
This role requires minimum 3 years experience in a similar administrative role, preferably in an academic or hospital setting. Completion of a University degree is preferred. Proven supervisory and training skills are essential. Familiarity working within a unionized environment would be considered an asset.
In addition, the preferred candidate will have the following skillset:
- The incumbent will have superior interpersonal, communication and time management skills.
- Working knowledge of Employment Standards Act, AODA, OHSA and any other applicable employment legislation.
- Understanding and application of HR best practices
- Experience working within a Collective Agreement, including its application
- Proven ability to effectively manage an office and conduct training sessions either one on one or in group settings.
- Knowledge of University of University/Hospital processes
- Experience working with Mosaic (PeopleSoft) payroll and recruitment functions
- Above average computer skills are required in the full Microsoft Office Suite.
- CHRP designation or working towards is required.
This position will require frequent travel to host-hospital sites in Hamilton, including Hamilton General Hospital, Juravinski Hospital, St. Joseph’s Hospital and McMaster University Medical Centre to provide new hire orientations, training, setting up workstations, interviews and strengthening engagement with employees.
This position also requires flexibility to attend meetings outside regular working hours during the work week.