Join a Montreal headquarter company that helps organizations around the world create a personalized journey of impact and fulfillment for their people. Explorance offers innovative People Insight Solutions because we believe that each experience matters.
Currently, we are looking to add a Database administrator to join our growing CloudOps team.
As an Explorance SQL Server DBA, you will be joining the Global CloudOps Team out of the Montreal office (i.e. not a remote role). You will be responsible for the implementation, configuration, maintenance, and performance of critical SQL Server RDBMS systems, to ensure the availability and consistent performance of our corporate applications. This is a “hands-on” position requiring solid technical skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
What you will do as our new Database Administrator
- Manage SQL Servers and databases in our private datacenter through multiple product lifecycle environments, from development to mission-critical production systems
- Install, Configure, and maintain database servers and processes, ensuring high levels of performance, availability, and security
- Configure, tune (performance/cost) and manage Azure SQL DBs and storage accounts
- Develop monitoring tools to achieve better visibility of the DB systems
- Proactively improve DB processes
- Deployment code review and suggest performance enhancements
- Setup/monitoring/fixing/analyzing/troubleshooting AlwaysOn/clusters
- Apply data modeling techniques to ensure development and implementation support efforts meet integration and performance expectations
- Experience working on SQL Server including SSIS / SSRS / SSAS - MUST
- Experience in ETL development, report development, data extractions, transformations & deployment
- Independently analyze, solve, and correct issues in real time, providing problem resolution end-to-end
- Database backup and recovery strategies and implementation
- Refine and automate regular processes, track issues, and document changes
- Understanding of fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
- Data migration, transformation, and scripting
- Write technical design and partial architectures
- Troubleshooting production issues and bug correction
- Follow and participate in Explorance development standards and guidelines
- Become a leader, specialist, and evangelist in the following areas:
- Data handling specialist
- Teach and help developers with complex query tuning and schema refinement
- Database security (e.g. TDE) and auditing abilities (i.e. CDC)
- Capacity planning
- Perform scheduled maintenance and support release deployment activities including off hours.
- Performance monitoring
Here's what you'll bring to the role
- MS SQL Server Administration supporting hundreds of databases experience required
- Experience with Clustering is mandatory
- PowerShell knowledge for process automation
- Experience with Performance Tuning and Optimization (PTO), using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools
- AzureSQL experience is a must
- Azure components knowledge such as Logic apps, elastic jobs, analytics etc.
- PostGreSQL experience is nice to have
- Experience working with Microsoft OLAP architectures
- Web Application architecture fundamentals
- Knowledge of High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for SQL Server – e.g. Always ON troubleshooting
- Experience working with Windows server, including Active Directory
- Flexible, team player, “get-it-done” personality
- MCTS, MCITP, and/or MVP certifications a plus
- Excellent T-SQL knowledge
- Passion for technology and problem solving
- Ability to organize and plan work independently
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to multi-task and context-switch effectively between different activities, teams while supporting different geographic offices (North America, Europe, Australia, Asia)
- Ability to function under pressure
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Only apply if you are a Montreal (or surroundings) resident that is interested in being part of a vibrant and highly engaged at-the-office culture.
At Explorance, we take inclusion to heart and live it each day. We put the ‘human’ first in everything we do and take pride in our authenticity and culture of inclusion. We therefore encourage persons of any race, religion, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, immigration status, disability or other applicable legally protected characteristics to apply. We make employment-related decisions without regard to any of these characteristics. And to ensure a safe workspace for all our employees, all employment is contingent upon receipt of a satisfactory background and reference check.
Founded in 2003, Explorance supports more than 20 million people in their individual journeys of purpose, growth, and impact. As the leading provider of Feedback Analytics Solutions, Explorance empowers organizations with actionable decision-making by measuring students’ and employees’ needs, expectations, skills, knowledge, and competencies. Explorance facilitates continuous improvement and accelerates the insight-to-action cycle leading to personal growth and organizational agility. Headquartered in Montreal with business units in Chicago, Chennai, Melbourne, Amman, and London. Explorance works with 25% of the Fortune 100 and 30% of the top Higher Education institutions, including 8 of the world’s top 10 business schools. The company has clients in more than 50 countries.