Northern Community Solutions Inc. (NCS Inc.) is seeking an experienced Engineering Technician to join our team. The Engineering Technician will be responsible for supporting our team in various aspects of project development, including planning, designing, construction, and maintenance. The successful candidate will have a degree in civil, industrial, electrical, or environmental engineering. This is a fast-paced environment that requires the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Supervise and/or conduct field surveys, inspections or technical investigations of topography, soils, drainage and water supply systems, road and highway systems, buildings, and structures to provide data for engineering projects.
- Construction management including the ability to supervise, monitor, and inspect construction projects and manage contractors.
- Prepare construction specifications, cost and material estimates, project schedules and reports.
- Ability to perform preliminary design work and undertake cost estimations for various buildings (commercial or residential).
- Construction experience doing basic repair and renovations or green builds.
- Use computer-aided drafting and modelling software to create engineering designs and drawings (blueprints, prints, drawings, mechanical drawings) from preliminary concepts.
- Ability to make site plans, drawings, and other technical packages.
- Conduct or supervise inspection and testing of construction materials for compliance.
- Assist with field surveying techniques to determine project specifications and requirements.
- Navigate outdoor terrain and conditions to perform required tasks.
- Collaborate with other team members to ensure projects are completed on time and within budget.
- Prepare reports and documentation related to engineering projects.
- Experience with heavy equipment operation is an asset.
- Travel to project sites as required.
- College or university degree in civil, industrial, electrical, or environmental engineering.
- Proven experience in a similar engineering technician role.
- Knowledge of building principles and materials testing.
- Proficiency in computer-aided drafting such as AutoCAD and 3D modelling software.
- Familiarity with field surveying techniques.
- Ability to perform heavy lifting of equipment and materials as required.
- Comfortable navigating outdoor terrain and conditions.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Willingness to travel to project sites and work in the field for extended periods as required including rural and remote locations in the North.
- Experience working in the North and with First Nations is a must although exceptional candidates willing to learn will be considered.
If you are a critical thinker who can prepare options, evaluate, and provide sustainable alternatives and have the necessary skills and experience to excel in this role, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity. We offer a competitive salary, as well as opportunities for career growth and development within our organization.
Northern Community Solutions is committed to providing a respectful and inclusive environment that reflects the communities it serves.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $60,000.00-$70,000.00 per year
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Thunder Bay, ON: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-06-18