At CN, everyday brings new and exciting challenges. You can expect an interesting environment where you’re part of making sure our business is running optimally and safely―helping keep the economy on track. We provide the kind of paid training and opportunities that long-term careers are built on and we recognize hard workers who strive to make a difference. You will be able to thrive in our close-knit, safety-focused culture working together as ONE TEAM. The careers we offer are meaningful because the work we do matters. Join us!
The Manager, Signals and Communications – Maintenance is responsible for overseeing a designated territory. Moreover, the incumbent is accountable for all Signals and Communications (S&C) maintenance and installation programs, signal systems, inspection activities, and management of critical voice and data communication systems.
- Handle assigned personnel to ensure S&C communications work is performed with CN’s and Transport Canada (TC) standards, and in conjunction with applicable collective bargaining agreements
- Direct supervisors, recommend appropriate corrective actions to resolve performance issues, respond to and resolve grievances
- Build safety compliance and improve safety results through efficiency testing and safety walkabouts
- Provide positive and constructive feedback as well as coaching
- Plan, implement, and lead Capital projects to ensure execution of the plan within CN and TC standards
Derailments and Disruptions
- Participate in activities related to derailments and disruptions in service, while working with Transportation and Mechanical to determine cause and future prevention
The role is performed in a combination of office and outdoor environments in various types of weather conditions with shift work including irregular hours, nights, weekends, and holidays. The incumbent must have the ability to lift up to 50 lbs, meet deadlines, interface with senior management, and be available on-call 24/7 to respond to critical incidences. The role requires frequent travel (60%) within the assigned territory, at times without advance notice.
Signals and Communications
- Minimum 4 years of experience in S&C
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a S&C supervisory role
- Minimum 2 years of supervisory experience
- High School Diploma or General Educational Development (GED)
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field*
- Any designation for these above would be considered as an asset
- Leads by example for the safety and security of all
- Considers ESG principles in all operations
- Solves problems to create value
- Collaborates with others and shares information
- Sets direction and inspires others
- Delegates and empowers others to create accountability
- Demonstrates agility and drives change
- Extensive working knowledge of S&C systems infrastructure and related safety appliances, S&C project management, applicable regulatory signal systems, general instructions, railway S&C standards, standard S&C specifications and procedures
- Knowledge of S&C Inspection System ( SCIS ), Systems, Applications and Products (SAP), and Electronic Track Occupancy Permit (ETOP)
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel and Word)
CN is a world-class transportation leader and trade-enabler. Essential to the economy, to the customers, and to the communities it serves, CN safely transports more than 300 million tons of natural resources, manufactured products, and finished goods throughout North America every year. As the only railroad connecting Canada’s Eastern and Western coasts with the Southern tip of the U.S. through a 19,500 mile rail network, CN and its affiliates have been contributing to community prosperity and sustainable trade since 1919. CN is committed to programs supporting social responsibility and environmental stewardship. At CN, we work as ONE TEAM, focused on safety, sustainability and our customers, providing operational and supply chain excellence to deliver results.
At CN, we are dedicated to building North America’s safest, most inclusive and sustainable railroad, which includes reflecting the communities in which we operate. Research shows that candidates from underrepresented groups often don’t apply unless they feel they fit the job posting at 100%. Even if you don’t see yourself in every job requirement listed in a posting, we still encourage you to apply. If you require an accommodation for the recruitment process (including alternate formats of materials, accessible meeting rooms or other accommodations), please reach out to our team at [email protected].
As an equal employment opportunity employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.