POSITION TITLE: Spare Bus Driver
CLASSIFICATION: PERMANENT; 2 hours in the AM and 2 hours in the PM
SUPERVISOR’S TITLE: Manager of Transportation
DEPARTMENT: Transportation Department, 165 Henlow Bay, Winnipeg MB R3Y 1G4
UNION: CUPE 4588 – Caretakers and Bus Drivers
JOB DESCRIPTION: Reviewed June 16, 2022
START DATE: As soon as possible
HOURS OF EMPLOYMENT: 4 hours per School Day
- To ensure the safe and efficient transportation of students to and from school and other school related activities according to the procedures laid down by the Province of Manitoba and the Pembina Trails School Division.
- The Spare Bus Driver reports to the Manager of Transportation.
- Works in cooperation with the other bus drivers and the office staff in the Transportation Department.
- Current Class 2 Province of Manitoba Driver’s License.
- Current Manitoba School Bus Driver’s License.
- An ability to understand the English language (written and spoken).
- An excellent driving record as evidenced by a Manitoba Driver’s Abstract.
- Will be required to pass a practical driving examination as administered by the Manager of Transportation.
- A minimum of one (1) year school bus driving experience an asset.
- Effective communication skills.
- Reports to dispatch at the beginning of each shift to receive assignment.
- Learn all bus routes, cover any route as required.
- May be required to drive a school bus route sight unseen with assistance from dispatch.
- Under the direction of the Manager of Transportation, provides safe and efficient transportation to students and staff.
- Carries out duties and acts in accordance with laws, policies, procedures and regulations as laid down by:
a) The Highway Traffic Act
b) The Public Schools Act
c) The Manitoba School Bus Driver’s Handbook
d) Policies and procedures of the Pembina Trails School Division
- Maintains orderly student conduct in the bus and reports misconduct to the principal or designate of the school.
- Completes a daily pre-trip inspection of any assigned bus, immediately reports any defects and completes log book entries.
- Maintains the interior of any assigned vehicle in a clean and sanitary condition. Maintains the exterior as clean as weather conditions permit.
- Maintains fluid levels in any assigned vehicle and fuels buses as required.
- Reports all accidents (students or vehicles) at the time of the accident.
- Conducts “Bus Evacuation” drills.
- Completes required forms and reports.
- Attends all driver’s meetings and workshops.
- Assists other transportation, maintenance or caretaking personnel as required.
- Notifies the Manager of Transportation immediately of charges laid against the driver under the Highway Traffic Act or the Criminal Code of Canada.
- Notifies the Manager of Transportation immediately of any medical condition that would impair the driver’s ability to carry out the responsibilities of the position.
- Must learn and use the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System.
- To perform other related duties as assigned or requested by the Manager of Transportation.
- Performance appraisal of these position responsibilities shall be conducted by the Manager of Transportation based on the approved appraisal guidelines.
Job Type: Part-time
Part-time hours: 20 per week
Salary: $24.52 per hour
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- school bus driving: 1 year (preferred)
- Class 2 Province of Manitoba Driver's License (preferred)
- Manitoba School Bus Driver's License (preferred)
Work Location: In person