Rockland Scientific is an ocean science and technology company that designs and manufactures solutions for scientists to improve their understanding of the oceans and climate change. Rockland Scientific empowers our customers by prioritizing our responsiveness to them and ensuring they reach their goals.
Our solutions centre on the measurement and analysis of ocean turbulence – an essential parameter directly related ocean mixing, heat flux, and climate change.
Headquartered in Victoria, BC, with satellite sales offices in the USA and France, Rockland Scientific’s eclectic team works in an inclusive environment to deliver sensor and software solutions to researchers and system integrator partners in 30 countries. We take pride in our customer-first culture, which is reflected by raving referrals and a growing number of scientific publications.
The Instrument Support Technician is an integral component in Rockland’s Brand Promise of ensuring customers get the data they need. They are responsible for managing Customer Service Requests (CSRs) and coordinating company resources to respond directly to customers accurately and efficiently. The Instrument Support Technician is also responsible for organizing and delivering technical product training, providing fieldwork services to customers, acting as a technical interface between the Sales, Production, Science, and Engineering teams, and assisting the Sales and Support team in lead generation for Service, Calibration, Parts & Probes (SCPP) opportunities.
Position Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor of Science in a related field and/or diploma in Technology (e.g., electronics, mechanical, marine, etc.)
- 2 years of minimum experience in troubleshooting instrumentation, including electronic circuits
- Group facilitation and instruction experience
- Customer service experience
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Customer Interaction
- Coordinate, delegate, and respond to Customer Service Requests
- Interpret customer data – and coordinate with Science and Engineering Depts.
- Create external content for Rockland customers to view (e.g., blog posts)
- Regular communication with sales on RMA and SCPP leads
2. Instruction and Training
- Evaluate training needs by reviewing relevant documentation and content produced by the Engineering, Production, and Science departments (e.g., user manuals).
- Plan and conduct training courses (e.g., train customers on technical aspects of Rockland’s equipment and essential data processing)
3. Field Work
- Plan and conduct fieldwork
- Provide field services for Rockland customers, including necessary preparations for safe and successful deployments
- Deploy Rockland instruments
- Communicate with relevant parties to ensure correct data is collected
- Manage and maintain Rockland equipment and property
- Perform product testing when requested by the Engineering department, and as time allows
- Provide customer feedback to Production, Engineering, Science, and Sales
- International travel
- Capable of working independently for several hours at a time
- Capable of receiving verbal instruction to complete tasks
- Working outdoors, including at sea
- Working at a computer for long periods of time
- Direct conversations with customers
- At times, standing for long periods of time – on vessels at sea
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs
What we offer
- Full-time employment
- Competitive pay based on experience and technical skill level
- Opportunities to take part in job-related training and development
- Extended Health Benefits, Life, AD&D, Critical Illness, and Long-term disability
- Personal Health Spending Account
- RRSP matching contributions
- Casual Illness leave
- Join a diverse team making a difference in the scientific field to understand climate change.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: From $53,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Profit sharing
- RRSP match
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Supplemental pay types:
- Bachelor's Degree (required)
- in troubleshooting instrumentation: 2 years (preferred)
Willingness to travel:
Work Location: In person