The production engineer will be part of a multi-disciplined team, providing support to the production elements of the IV2 applications. The role is centered on application support, and requires a wide range of technical skills. The production engineer will work closely with the development and infrastructure teams to:
- Pro-actively monitor, manage and improve availability and performance of the production environments (from presentation and application layers to Infrastructure layers)
- Pro-actively manage the capacity of production applications
- Plan and implement application releases, load tests and configuration changes
- Customize production tools (monitoring, deployment, scheduling etc.)
- Contribute to medium- and high scale technical projects as part of the project by contributing in architecture review and design, upgrading, and migrating application systems to new platforms.
- Provide feedback and propose solutions to management on performance, capacity and design issues
The production engineer will also work with other teams to respond to incidents and resolve issues promptly, often under pressure, to restore normal services to the business. Therefore, the ability to be on call and provide support out of hours is essential.
As this is a production support role, focusing on a range of different and mostly cutting edge technologies, candidates must possess the aptitude and desire to learn.
Skills and Qualifications
- Candidates must have a minimum of 3 years of experience in a similar role.
- He/she must be experienced in providing multi-disciplined technical support as part of a team,and have practical knowledge of performance and capacity management from an application, database, and network perspective, as well as a strong aptitude for automation.
Role Specific Technical Skills
Production experience across the following:
- System administration – In-depth knowledge in Linux/Unix and good knowledge on Windows systems
- Good general understanding of global infrastructure, firewalls, networking, and considerations in these areas.
- Networks : Good understanding of network principals and practical knowledge of load balancing technologies is essential
- Monitoring – Experience in managing monitoring tools (Dynatrace)
- Automation – Experience to release and or server automation tools such as AnsibleTower, Jenkins,
- Knowledge of programming and scripting methodologies and demonstrable proficiency in writing code in one or more of the following languages; Python, Perl, Ruby, Java
- Data – Experience into Log indexing product such as Splunk and Elastic Search
- Application servers – Strong knowledge in configuring and supporting web technologies such as Tomcat, Apache, nginx, IIS
- Analytical skills - Ability to analyse data surrounding incidents to a fine level, investigate dependencies and evaluate possible areas for improvement, and actions with a view to automate resolution
Desirable IT Skills
- Containers – exposure to Docker and Kubernetes;
- Databases – exposure to or skills in noSQL DBs ( mongodb);
- Understanding of application lifecycle and Agile methodology
- Good tasks management, prioritisation, risk management
- Appreciation of production processes, including change and release management
- Good incident and problem management skills, with knowledge of ITIL beneficial
- Strong problem solving skills
- Good interpersonal skills and team player
- Client focused
- Attention to details
- Strong aptitude and interest in technology
- High energy level coupled with a desire to take on responsibility
- Able to multi-task
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $68.00-$70.00 per hour