Manufacturing Engineer – Tool Design
The Engineer - Manufacturing position, under general direction, is responsible for planning and designing complex manufacturing processes in an industrial plant while improving production methods, determine manufacturing capacity, and set up of production schedules. This position may provide support in the design, fabrication, modification, and evaluation in support of manufacturing operations such as machining, metal forming, plastics processing, welding and brazing, assembly, and material handling.
Powering Vehicles, Motion, Work, and Lives since 1966.
- Interpret Engineering Design and Manufacturing or Quality Engineering instructions into designs or detailed fabrication instructions for tools, dies, gauges, jigs, fixtures, and machine attachments required for production or experimental use, considering such factors as accessibility, economy, mobility, and performance requirements
- Supports existing programs and sustaining tooling activities
- Analyze problem situations by reviewing facts and creating solutions for a variety of complex problems
- Ensures that corrective measures meet acceptable reliability standards and that documentation is compliant with requirements
- Work with suppliers & buyers regarding special tooling applications & “fit” with manufacturing capacities, capabilities and skill sets
- Maintains configuration legacy (PDM)
- Error-proofing strategies (poke-yoke)
- Maintain procedures relative to tool design, maintenance and acceptance
- Tool Design approval and release
- Tooling inspection and certification
- Act as a consultant and technology expert in resolving unusually difficult design or production problems.
- Specify new tools, equipment and fixtures where required.
- Recognize and resolve tooling related difficulties with existing and new projects while working with the manufacturing support staff.
- Investigate new manufacturing and tooling methods.
- Perform other duties/projects as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree (B.S.) in Engineering from four-year college or university and 3-5 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Advanced experience with SolidWorks, AutoCAD, MS Office software
- Advanced experience with weld tooling jig and fixture design for both manual and robotic applications
- Ability to write comprehensive entries into technical log books which are then used as reference documents.
- Extensive knowledge of tolerance stack up and GD&T
- Ability to interact with technicians or technologists for tasks such as creating scale drawings, preparing specifications, and writing proposals
- Ability to work with internal customers and vendors to follow through and complete tooling projects
- Excellent written, verbal, communication and interpersonal skill
- Interact with technicians or technologists for tasks such as creating scale drawings, preparing specifications, writing proposals and developing plant maintenance schedules.
- Attend formal professional development seminars and conferences as needed.
What Linamar Has To Offer
- Opportunities for career advancement.
- Community based outreach supporting both local and global initiatives and charities.
- Social committees and sports teams.
- Discounts for local vendors and events, including auto supplier discounts.
Skyjack supplies construction rental companies globally with quality engineered, simple, and reliable access and telehandler equipment. Initially started as a scissor lift manufacturer in 1985, and has grown to become a world leader in the general Mobile Elevating Work Platform (MEWP) industry.
As a dominant player in a consistently evolving industry, Skyjack employees thrive on absorbing new information and have a thirst for continuous improvement in their professional selves. In 2002 Skyjack became a part of the Linamar Corporation and has since been able to leverage strategic partnerships and use the guidance of their parent company to rapidly change the face of the access industry.
Every aspect of the company is deeply rooted in Skyjacks safety initiatives as this can be an extremely challenging industry. Skyjack prides itself on being simply reliable and easy to do business with. This mission extends to the relationships with customers, suppliers, and employees.
Linamar is committed to promoting accessible recruitment as outlined in the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Linamar will attempt to accommodate persons with a disability in an appropriate and effective manner throughout all stages of the recruitment process. Accommodations will be provided upon request.