theScore, a wholly-owned subsidiary of PENN Entertainment , empowers millions of sports fans through its digital media and sports betting products. Its media app 'theScore' is one of the most popular in North America, delivering fans highly personalized live scores, news, stats, and betting information from their favorite teams, leagues, and players. theScore's sports betting app 'theScore Bet Sportsbook & Casino' delivers an immersive and holistic mobile sports betting and iCasino experience. theScore Bet is currently live in the Company's home province of Ontario. theScore also creates and distributes innovative digital content through its web, social and esports platforms.
About the Role & Team
As part of the Compliance team, you will be working with a team of smart, friendly, and dedicated Engineers and Product Managers. Our mission is to build and maintain the system which allows patrons to practice safe gambling behavior, working closely with regulators across all supported jurisdictions.
About the Work
As a key member of our Compliance team you will:
- Work across several services/codebases using our preferred technology stack: Elixir/Phoenix, LiveView, React and functional programming paradigm.
- Develop, scale, and optimize amazing REST, gRPC, and GraphQL APIs, as required by individual service.
- Solve technical problems of the highest scope, complexity and scale while delivering clean, organized and readable code.
- Strive to reduce technical debt, while communicating with teammates and other teams about any larger refactor.
- Improve observability to support our features deployed to production providing service to a large user base.
- Collaborate regularly with engineers, product managers, designers to bring new features and improved onboarding and platform access experiences to our patrons.
- Participate in the design, architecture, and delivery of new features in a collaborative agile/scrum environment.
- Work with the team to define and improve our documentation, internal style guide, maintainability and best practices.
- Provide mentorship to other developers on the team and even the entire organization.
- Other duties as required.
- A solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, distributed systems, algorithms and software design.
- Excellent communication skills, including solid technical writing abilities.
- Security-first mindset. Familiarity with OAuth2, OWASP mitigation techniques are a plus.
- Passionate about clean code architecture and software craftsmanship.
- Diligent about delivering well-tested features, including unit and integration tests where possible.
- Experience with a modern web framework and consuming and building APIs.
- Experience with Git workflow using GitHub or similar platform.
- A strong grasp of designing and working with relational data models. Experience with PostgreSQL preferred.
- An interest in designing, building, and optimizing distributed systems.
- A drive for finding simple solutions to complex problems.
- Always trying to understand problems from a fundamental perspective
- NICE TO HAVE: Experience with functional programming, Kubernetes, Kafka, gRPC.
What We Offer
- Competitive compensation package
- Fun, relaxed work environment
- Education and conference reimbursements.
- Parental leave top up
- Opportunities for career progression and mentoring others
theScore is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability or age.