MARINE SUPERINTENDENT (NANAIMO)
About Vancouver Island Ferry Company (VIFC) and Hullo
We’re the Vancouver Island Ferry Company, a modern Canadian ferry company transforming how we travel in British Columbia. It’s all about being an easier, faster, and more enjoyable ferry experience.
Headquartered in Nanaimo and operating under our service brand Hullo, we will provide service between downtown Vancouver and Nanaimo. We’re talking comfortable and reliable sailings in around 70 minutes, a seamless booking process complete with reservable seats, and refreshments that will be just that…fresh. Say goodbye to the biggest pain points of travel and be ready to be welcomed aboard with a smile and a “hello”.
VIFC is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We are strongly committed to diversity and inclusion in our organization. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of their race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, and any other category protected under applicable law. We welcome all qualified applicants who contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
The Hullo Culture
At Hullo, we're all about taking things to the next level! Our obsession with safety and delivering an unforgettable guest experience is only matched by our passion for constant improvement. We don't settle for the ordinary - we encourage our employees to think outside the box, innovate and make waves. With data-driven decision making and a continuous improvement mindset, we are committed to raising the bar in everything we do.
But don't worry, it's not all work and no play at Hullo. We believe that having fun and being engaged are key ingredients for success. That's why we strive to create a dynamic and enjoyable work environment where every team member has a say in shaping the future of the organization. From the top down, we value collaboration and want each person to feel empowered to contribute their unique ideas and talents.
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Marine Operations Superintendent to join our team at Hullo, VFIC. As the Marine Operations Superintendent, you will be responsible for overseeing the safe and efficient operation of our fleet of vessels, ensuring compliance with all regulatory requirements, and managing a team of vessel crews. This role requires strong leadership, excellent communication skills, and a deep understanding of maritime operations.
This role reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the fleet, ensuring vessels are operated safely, efficiently, and in compliance with all relevant Transport Canada regulations and company policies
- Develop and implement operational procedures to optimize vessel performance, minimize downtime, and enhance guest experience
- Manage and coordinate vessel schedules, crew assignments, and maintenance activities to ensure smooth operations and minimize disruptions
- Manage Company Safety Management System as part of the International Safety Management Code requirements
- Act as Designated Person Ashore and Company Security Officer
- Monitor vessel performance metrics, analyze data, and identify areas for improvement to enhance operational efficiency and cost-effectiveness
- Collaborate with other departments, such as terminal operations and the guest experience team, technical operations and infrastructure, and marketing and sales, and finance, to ensure seamless coordination and effective communication across the organization
- Ensure compliance with all applicable maritime regulations, safety standards, and environmental requirements
- Conduct regular inspections and internal audits of vessels to ensure compliance with safety protocols and identify any potential risks or hazards
- Recruit, train, and supervise vessel crew members, providing guidance, support, and performance feedback to ensure high-performing teams
- Manage relationships with external stakeholders, such as Nanaimo and Vancouver Fraser River Port authorities, regulatory agencies, and suppliers, to ensure smooth operations and resolve any issues that may arise
- Stay updated on industry trends, technological advancements, and regulatory changes to ensure the company remains at the forefront in its approach to operational excellence
We’ve Here for You
We get it – sometimes things happen in life that you can’t control. At VIFC, people are our greatest asset, and we want to support you and those you care about beyond the paycheque. That’s why we’ve created a comprehensive health and wellness benefits program to promote your physical and mental well-being so you can perform at your best. Better yet, it’s flexible since one size doesn’t fit all!
- 100% VIFC-paid premiums
- A robust, flexible health spending account – use it for additional health coverage should you need it and/or to support your personal wellness (like paying for your gym membership, sporting equipment, or activity classes)
- Don’t have a family doctor? No worries – we offer 24/7 virtual access to doctors or nurse practitioners to get medical advice or a prescription
- Support your retirement planning with annual employer RRSP contributions
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelor's degree in Maritime Studies, Marine Engineering, or a related field (preferred)
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in vessel operations, preferably in the ferry or maritime industry
- Minimum of 3 years of experience directly managing a team
- Strong knowledge of maritime regulations, safety standards, and environmental requirements
- Proven leadership skills with the ability to effectively manage and motivate a team
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate and build relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, with keen attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure and make sound decisions in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient in using computer software and systems related to vessel operations and maintenance
- Valid masters or mates license or relevant certifications if considered an asset
Job Type: Full-time