About Ocean Steel and Construction Limited
Incorporated in 1955, Ocean Steel has grown to become one of the largest steel fabricators in Eastern Canada and one of the most respected steel suppliers on the Eastern Seaboard. It services several markets, including all of Canada, the Eastern United States, Bermuda and the Caribbean. Ocean designs, fabricates and erects structural steel for buildings and bridges. It also manufactures and installs platework, such as breechings, stacks, ducts, penstocks, process & storage tanks and custom process-equipment. Ocean Steel has two, modern New Brunswick-based plants in Saint John and in Fredericton. We currently have sales offices in Saint John, New Brunswick, Burlington, Massachusetts and Conklin, New York.
This position is responsible for the overall supervision of crane operators, loading crew, general labourers, and painting personnel. We are looking for a professional, direct yet collaborative communicator to prepare, assign and oversee the work of 4 to 6 unionized employees whose experience varies from first year apprentices to Journeypersons as well as plan and coordinate with transportation subcontractors. Ocean Steel places a high value on safety and maintains a well-established Safety Management System. Our Shipping Foremen will show through their actions that they play an important role in the management of this system. The successful candidate will also be well rounded in the steel fabrication trade.
- Organization of work schedule for 4-6 employees
- Maintain a safe work environment
- Scheduling of loading/sorting activities for the yard
- Coordination with the shop foreman on scheduling product for loading
- Coordination with carriers for steel deliveries to the jobsite
- Coordination with PM/site staff on delivery needs
- Manage/approve shipping costs in JDE
- Career development of employees including training
- Experienced tradesperson or engineering technology graduate with experience in fabrication and or shipping
- Previous supervisor training/experience would be considered an asset
- Welding/Steel Fabrication Trade Certification is considered a definite asset
- CWB Weld Supervisor Certification is considered a definite asset
- Previous industrial painting experience is considered an asset
- Class 5 Drivers license
- Must be proficient with MS software programs
- WHMIS and Dangerous goods certification
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to motivate others
As a member of the OSCO Construction Group, Ocean Steel offers a comprehensive compensation package including health and dental coverage, life insurance, RRSP and tax-free savings account options. Additionally, we offer educational scholarships to dependents of employees, health & wellness programming and team celebratory events.
The origins of the OSCO Construction Group go back to 1955 when Ocean Steel & Construction Ltd. was founded in Saint John, New Brunswick. Since that time, the OSCO Construction Group has grown to encompass four main operating sectors: Steel, Concrete, Construction and Corporate. Within these sectors lie an ever-expanding number of construction-related companies and divisions, serving a growing market area and employing over twelve hundred employees.