Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
YOUR NEXT STEPS AS NEW GRADUATES
From classroom to career, every step of your journey has an impact on your future. That’s why it makes sense to choose a company that offers truly rewarding work and real-life experience. At Definity®, your contributions, creativity, and energy will be put to good use, and you’ll get to be involved with initiatives that support our strategic goals and use your skills in a supportive team environment.
If you’re looking for a company that takes care of its people — full time and part time alike — and has a track record of doing big things, get ready to love it here.
Start date: May or September 2024
Duration: Full Time Position
What you’ll be doing
- Build code design based on requirements, develop application code based on the approved design, test the code and provide the testing and bug fix support through the release lifecycle followed by post-implementation debug support when issues are reported in production
- Responsible for analyzing a broad range of business requirements, conducting program/system research and analysis to identify key components for solutions delivery and problem resolution
- Design and build new applications functions and features, fix existing applications problems and perform unit/component test for new code to ensure they are aligned to business needs and in accordance with technology architecture standards
- Ensure effective communication of solutions development requirements for respective area and contribute to project/sprint plans, estimations, timelines and status updates to support management and scrum team/business partners on prioritizing new and existing initiatives / projects against IT requirements
- Inform key stakeholders of any issues that may impact other areas of the project and resolve or escalate issues as required
- Support business queries and business activities through execution of small enhancements and break/fix implementations
- Support the test team during feature/function demos to the business stakeholders
What you bring
- College diploma in Computer Programming or Undergraduate Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Computer Engineering, Math, Engineering or related discipline.
- Knowledge of CS fundamentals including data structures, algorithm design and complexity analysis.
- Solid understanding of Object-Oriented Programming and Design Concepts.
- Familiarity with cloud computing platforms (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, etc.).
- Familiarity with web application or front-end frameworks (Angular, React, Vue, Spring Boot, Django, etc.).
- Experience working with relational databases.
- Experience with web services – SOAP and REST.
- Experience working with version control systems (git, hg, svn, etc.) and code hosting platforms (GitHub, Bitbucket, etc.).
- Experience with IDEs/Code Editors. Experience with JetBrains’s IDEs is an asset.
- Familiarity with build automation tools.
- Working in large-scale Agile programs within the P&C Insurance industry experience is an asset.
- Sound to advanced knowledge of the business, technical environment, standards, processes, procedures, programming languages and operating systems.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- A team player with an ability to own projects and interface with clients.
Did you know?
- We care about our new graduates: Definity’s students are considered the best pipeline of talent for our full-time, permanent positions.
- We care about students: Definity distributes $85,000 in scholarships to students across Canada each year.
- We care about our community: Definity donates more than $1 million every year to causes that drive true change in the neighborhoods in which we live and work.
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
Hybrid work schedule for most roles
Company share ownership program
Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
Wellness and recognition programs
Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).