Our Operations team is expanding and is looking for an entry-level, Junior Systems Engineer to join our team!
Are you eager to dive into DevOps methodologies to automate deployment processes, creating a smoother, more efficient future for our operations? Are you ready to master the art of configuration management, using tools like git, Docker and Ansible to ensure consistency and reliability? Are you set to tackle technical challenges head-on, working closely with our talented team to troubleshoot and find creative solutions? If yes, we might just be your match!
Who are we? In short, we’re a fast growing, award-winning company with focus on mission-critical communications that help our customers save lives. We are radio, console and dispatch experts. We are innovative, collaborative and supportive. We work with an impressive range of clients in the public safety sector within North America and our equipment handles over 10 million calls per year.
Our new Junior Systems Engineer will learn the design, implementation, and support of our communication and information systems; collaborating with our incredible team of talented individuals; and working closely with our customers maintaining strong relationships and system quality. There will be a mix of remote software work and on-site hands-on hardware work, providing a significant opportunity for creative and innovative thought.
This role is ideal for someone with a passion for technology, strong initiative and the desire to learn and grow in a dynamic environment. Our collaborative team of tech enthusiasts is ready to welcome you into a space where your ideas matter and your growth is encouraged. Apply today to build your career and play a vital role in supporting our mission critical customers and partners.
This position offers the best of both worlds as a hybrid opportunity, supported as a mostly remote (at your preference), with periods of on-site work and training at our office in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. This position includes on-call shift work leading remote technical support in the case of customer incidents, in shift rotations that cover 24x7x365 operations including all holidays. In rare cases, the candidate in this role must be able to travel to customer sites in Canada and the United States for short periods of on-site work.
Under the direction of the Director, Operations, the Junior Systems Engineer will be responsible for the following:
- Working cohesively with a team of software and systems developers and engineers building mission-critical communications products and services
- Providing support to ensure all issues are resolved in a timely manner, during and outside of business hours, by troubleshooting, testing and configuring of communication and information systems
- Managing and engineering solutions to customer-reported problems
- Actively engaging in written and verbal conversations with customers
- Working on a team that provides 24x7x365 after-hours support, as scheduled in a rotation with other team members
- Using DevOps methodologies to automate deployment processes and configuration management
- Proposing process improvements and automation opportunities to optimize efficiency and effectiveness
- Configuring system equipment at customer sites and in-house, as required
- Creating and maintaining technical documentation, as required
- Supporting company policies, procedures and operations, including ISO9001 Quality Management System and ISO27001 Information Security Management System
- All other related duties as requiredRequired Skills
- Basic Linux-based systems programming and administration
- Strong technical communication skills
- Understanding of IP network design, configuration and troubleshooting
- Familiarity with shell scripting using BASH, Python or other scripting languages
- Must be able to multitask and work independently in a fast-paced environment
- Strong English communication skills, both written and verbal
- Collaborative work philosophy
- Bachelor’s degree in a computing field, or technical college degree or equivalent experience
- Experience working as a Tier 2 help desk representative would be a bonus
Nice to have skills
- Knowledge of radio network design and use of radio technologies: basic understanding of land mobile radio systems with the ability to troubleshoot levels, impedances, timings and other settings; understanding of audio performance characteristics and audio processing tools such as AGC, audio compressors and EIA tone remote control
- Knowledge of radio protocols such as P25, MDC and paging
- Familiarity with git, Zabbix (or similar) and the ELK stack
- Practice using json and YAML (or specifically Ansible)
- Working knowledge of VMs, Docker, and AWS
- Exploratory testing
What You’ll Love About Working With Us:
Meaningful work. Our work makes a difference in the world. Our efforts contribute to making a lasting impact supporting mission-critical communications that help our customers save lives.
Work environment. Remote, in-office and hybrid work options. Flexible working hours. Renovated office space, including free coffee and parking. Casual dress and atmosphere.
Health & Wellness. Your health and wellness are a priority. We make the time to highlight the value of wellness, how to support it and offer a fully funded health benefit package to employees. We foster a strong work-life balance, also providing paid time off, including vacation, holiday and sick time.
Learning & Growth. Leaders that are committed to supporting you through regular connection 1:1 conversations, a focus on learning through external opportunities and internal workshops sharing technical knowledge, fostering growth and opportunity in your career.
Employee Engagement. Your feedback matters and makes a difference. We regularly advocate for feedback and are open to doing things differently.
Culture & Connection. Our culture is our corporate personality tied up with a bow and if we do say so ourselves, we got it going on. It’s the people here that make the magic - we have a phenomenally talented engaged team that is our greatest strength.
InterTalk is an equal opportunity employer. If this opportunity interests you, and you meet all of the above requirements, please submit your resume and a cover letter stating salary expectations. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. Only applicants legally entitled to work in Canada will be considered for this opportunity.
This position is a local remote opportunity. We are looking for candidates with occasional commuting distance to Dartmouth, NS. Candidates may select to work from home, on-site at our InterTalk headquarters in Dartmouth, NS or a combination of both!
Job Type: Full-time
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Profit sharing
- Vision care
- Work from home
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Dartmouth, NS B3B 0J5: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Do you have on call shift-work availability on shift rotations that cover 24x7x365
- basic Linux based systems programming/administration: 1 year (preferred)
- IP networking: 1 year (preferred)
- familiarity with shell scripting using BASH, Python or other: 1 year (preferred)
- Tier 2 help desk representative: 1 year (preferred)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Dartmouth, NS B3B 0J5