The Canada Games Centre (CGC) is a vibrant multi-sport community and recreation centre in Halifax, Nova Scotia. We are a 176,000 sqft facility operated by a non-profit society committed to promoting physical literacy, fitness and wellness, and to supporting the needs of high performance sport & athlete development. The Centre runs sport and recreation programs, camps, fitness classes and so much more in an inclusive environment. Located in Mi’kma’ki, the ancestral and traditional lands of the Mi’kmaq people, the CGC acknowledges the Peace & Friendship Treaties signed in this Territory and recognizes that we are all Treaty People.
Together, we inspire healthy active living.
We are looking for two (2) enthusiastic, recreation/sports-minded, positive individuals to provide leadership in delivering exceptional customer service and support to our members and guests.
This position is responsible to work alongside another Customer Service Coordinator for the overall day-to-day supervision and training of the Canada Games Centre Customer Service and Membership teams. Strong communication skills and relationship building are key to success in this role. The Coordinator will work within our Service Operations department to ensure members and guests have a quality experience in our Centre.
This position will report directly to the Manager, Service Operations and will aid in providing support and leadership to a staff team consisting of Customer Service staff, Membership Assistants, Gate Monitors, and Child Minding staff. In addition to a commitment to exceptional customer service and a positive customer experience, the Customer Service Coordinator must be highly organized, sales focused, manage time effectively, and complete correspondence with members and users in a timely, efficient, and professional manner. This is a client facing role where professionalism and building rapport are the keys to success.
- Hours will consist of flexible daytime, evening, and weekend hours
- Organize and administer customer service protocols and procedures
- Ensure staff scheduling for appropriate coverage and keep within budgetary allowances
- Identify training needs and build/conduct training as necessary for staff regarding memberships, service delivery, paperwork completion, and other relevant topics
- Assist with member services including, but not limited to check-ins, membership sales, daily cash-outs, facility tours, paperwork, and end of shift reconciliations
- Assist with member adherence to the User Code of Conduct for the facility and provide counselling for behaviour improvement and/or disciple when necessary
- Respond to inquiries – on-site, emails, and phone calls/texts
- Communicate policies, procedures, updates, and all other required information to guests
- Assist in the growth and development of memberships for the facility including the corporate membership program
- Accept and process payments
- Receive and manage all customer complaints or concerns (either directly or through other departments, depending on the specific issue)
- Act as the lead point of contact for Customer Management Software (Legend) at Customer Service
- Day-to-day coaching, recruitment, hiring, training, and development of part-time and full-time Membership, Customer Service, Child Minding and Gate Monitor staff
- Administer the organizations Performance Management system with all members of the Customer Service business unit
- Responsible for ensuring that staffing levels are appropriate for fluctuating business needs
- Assist in the planning and implementation of member appreciation events and marketing events to promote membership growth
- Assist in developing and expanding any procedural documents and training materials necessary for end-users and staff
- Assist in the organization’s member retention strategy, including working with the Marketing department on member communications, following up on cancellations,
- Maintaining inventory and ordering supplies for area
- Understanding and coordination of all financial responsibilities associated with Customer Service, including but not limited to ensuring change/cash floats are monitored and replenished, investigating discrepancies in staff daily balance sheets and payroll
- Liaise with all Canada Games Centre departments to ensure key messages are received and communicated to the Customer Service team
- Serve as an after-hours point of contact for Customer Service staff and provide desk coverage when needed
- Work in conjunction with other Canada Games Centre staff to develop best practices to maximize use of the Centre
- Communicate effectively and in a timely manner with public, user groups and staff
- Process payments and perform invoicing where necessary
- Prepare and submit payroll
- Complete additional projects and tasks as assigned by Manager, Service Operations
Education & Experience
- Degree in Business Administration, Recreation Management, or equivalent combination of relevant education and experience
- Two (2) years’ experience in supervisory role in similar environment
- Experience in cash handling and revenue reporting
- Experience working with the public in a customer service focused role including in conflict situations
- Experience and comfort using computers and various software programs
- Experience processing financial transactions
- Experience in staff training and coaching for success
- Understand and appreciate the important role that sport, and recreation plays in healthy communities
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong listening skills
- Detail and solution oriented
- Good decision-making skills
- Experience dealing with various publics (individuals, families, corporate, seniors, youth, etc.)
- Schedule flexibility required – weekdays and weekends + day and evening shifts
- This position requires full-time work, 35+ hours per week, with flexibility for working hours between 5:30am and 10:00pm, Monday through Sunday, mornings, evenings, and weekends. This includes the potential to be on call when required by facility operations and schedule demands and to serve as the Person on Duty (POD) on our duty schedule with other facility Coordinators/Supervisors/Assistants.
- Working conditions in general, subject to seasonal programs, evening meetings, budgetary planning exercises or individual projects or events. May require evening hours for internal meetings or other community meetings
- This position may include heavy lifting of supplies and equipment and may be exposed to loud noises and will require an individual to be able to concentrate in a busy environment
- Psychological Demands: Potentially high stress environment due to multi-task requirement and customer expectations
- Criminal Record & Child Abuse Registry checks will be required as part of the hiring process
What’s in it for you?
- Group benefits and RRSP plan
- Education allowance
- Free facility membership
- Free parking and close proximity to Halifax Transit
- Amazing team environment
- Organization committed to extraordinary staff and customer experience
Salary will be based on a range from $42,000–$58,000 commensurate with education and level of experience.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume, outlining how you meet the specific qualifications listed in the job posting to Wasan Nayfeh at [email protected] by Friday, October 13th, 2023.
Please include your full name and the position you are applying for in the subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents may result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive environment whose goal is to be a diverse workplace representative of the citizens we serve. Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women in occupations where they are under-represented, and the LGBTQIA2S+ community are encouraged to self-identify on your application.