Job Title: Senior Civil Structural Engineer
As part of our growing design team, the successful candidate will be responsible, for the design of civil/structural systems and/or components both in the traditional nuclear market and in new initiatives to develop nuclear technology and future nuclear-powered systems. The successful candidate will be working within a multi-discipline engineering team mainly supporting the Nuclear Facilities & Modular Engineering design team.
- Perform Civil/Structural engineering analysis and design for new and existing nuclear power plants and facilities.
- Perform condition and performance assessments of civil structures.
- Interface with construction/procurement partners and utility stakeholders, throughout the lifecycle of the design project (i.e., from preliminary and conceptual engineering to detailed design, implementation, and close-out) to provide practical and effective solutions as per requirements.
- Develop life cycle plans, including inspection and test programs
- Perform engineering design and analysis following established Engineering design and change control procedures
- Provide field support for design and design modifications, including provision of field engineering.
- Understand and assess client problems and determine appropriate means of solution.
- Conduct technical assessments and emergent troubleshooting/engineering to support new build projects and existing operating units.
- Interface effectively with other staff on multi-disciplinary design and technical projects.
- Provide technical oversight and mentoring of more junior members of the Engineering team
- Stay current with developments within their field of expertise.
- Other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Expertise in one or more specific areas, e.g., structural design of steel and concrete structures, seismic engineering analysis and design and piping supports (nuclear and non-nuclear).
- Experience in the use of civil engineering codes and standards, as applied to nuclear plant and conventional plants such as CSA N287, CSA N289 and CSA N291 and other codes and standards such as NBCC and S16 and A23.
- Proficiency in structural engineering design software STAAD. Pro. SAP, Math Cad and Microsoft Office products. Experience with AutoCad, NavisWorks and Smart Plant would be considered an asset.
- Good understanding of Quality Assurance and applicable industry codes and standards.
- Knowledge and implementation of client Engineering Change Control process of nuclear power generation utilities is considered an asset.
- Good working knowledge of basic generation plant design/operation related to Nuclear Power Plants, skid-based designs, or international power projects.
- Experience with Small Modular Reactor (SMR) or Advance Reactor designs (ARD) is an asset.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Civil/Structural Engineering is required. A higher degree is an asset.
- Candidates are expected to have or pursue attainment of the P.Eng. designation.
- Good project management skills and demonstrated capability to interface effectively with and gain the trust of station customers.
- A period of 10+ years relevant experience is considered necessary.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and be team player.
- Must be able to organize and prioritize assigned work and to coordinate multiple activities efficiently.
Kinectrics welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
NOTE: Please forward your completed application to [email protected] (including the Vacancy # in the subject line of your email).