Track Maintenance Foreman
Enjoying physical labour and working outdoors as well as being safety-minded are vital to a career in rail operations at CN. If you like being part of a team and working in different locations every day, a rewarding career in track maintenance will appeal to you. Working on a crew, you’ll be part of an ever-changing, safety-first work environment that ensures our infrastructure is safe, sound and train-ready. At CN, the careers we offer are meaningful because the work we do matters. Join us!
The Track Maintenance Foremen is responsible for the maintenance of track components. The position leads crews to ensure that fixtures on the railroad work properly. The incumbent participates in inspecting, repairing, and replacing rails, ties, switches, and ballast.
- Inspect and maintain track structure and right-of-way to CN’s specifications
- Supervise and develop track forces to ensure quality maintenance and safe work performance
- Inspect track work on completion and approve track for service
- Maintain train operating restrictions in alignment with track standards
- Implement safety directives
- Assist in the development of safety programs and goals
- Remove and replace defective ties, rails spikes, and anchors
- Correct deviations in track surface, alignment, and gauge
- Install and repair street and railroad crossings
- Assist in the replacement and repair of items such as power-operated switches and insulated joints
- Help to unload ballast as well as unload and distribute track material
- Sort used track material for loading, which may be loaded by hand
- Clear brush, vegetation, snow, and litter from railroad right-of-way
- Establish and maintain drainage
- Clean up after work completion
- Comply with track safety standards, Operating Rules, and Safe work procedures
- Complete work, material inventory, and inspections reports
- Must be available to work shifts, away from home on various work cycles, and occasional overtime
- Ability to work outdoors in various types of weather and environmental conditions, involving physical work
- Must be able to perform repetitive physical activities
- Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds (22 kg) frequently and up to 70 pounds (32 kg) occasionally
- Must have good eye-hand coordination and grasping
- Foreman or supervisory experience
- Experience in similar working conditions
- High School Diploma or equivalent General Education Diploma (GED)
- Valid Driver’s License
- Knowledge of Microsoft Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, and Word)
- Collaborates with others and shares information
- Communicates with impact
- Sets direction and inspires others
- Leads by example for the safety and security of all
- Considers ESG principles in all operations
- Welding skills*
- Knowledge of signals or Rail Operating Rules*
- Any experience/education/skills/knowledge for these above would be considered as an asset
Upon hiring, the position attends formal and on-the-job training. The incumbent is required to complete the training program successfully. The position receives classroom training over a period of 4 weeks at 40 hours per week. The training is primarily on health and safety rules and basic machine operator procedures. Successful completion of the classroom and on-the-job training is mandatory to continue employment.
This position is a unionized position. As such, pay and benefits are governed by the applicable collective agreement.
CN is a world-class transportation leader and trade-enabler. Essential to the economy, to the customers, and to the communities it serves, CN safely transports more than 300 million tons of natural resources, manufactured products, and finished goods throughout North America every year. As the only railroad connecting Canada’s Eastern and Western coasts with the Southern tip of the U.S. through a 19,500 mile rail network, CN and its affiliates have been contributing to community prosperity and sustainable trade since 1919. CN is committed to programs supporting social responsibility and environmental stewardship. At CN, we work as ONE TEAM, focused on safety, sustainability and our customers, providing operational and supply chain excellence to deliver results.
CN is an employment equity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.