IT Service Desk Support
Algoma Steel Inc.
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario Canada
Based in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Algoma has a proud history as a leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled steel sheet and plate products. We are Canada’s only discrete plate producer and one of the lowest-cost producers of hot-rolled sheet steel in North America owing in part to our state-of-the-art Direct Strip Production Complex. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, and energy sectors including renewable energy and military applications. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, transitioning to electric arc steelmaking technology that will position Algoma as one of North America’s leading producers of green steel, bringing low-carbon steel products to market, shrinking our environmental footprint, and securing a more sustainable future.
We invite those with a talent and drive for superior performance, who desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals to apply. Join us as we build on our rich, century-long tradition of delivering quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
· Staffing the IT Service Desk - 12-hour rotating shifts, 24/7 operation
· Monitor the health of IT systems and respond to alerts and notifications as per defined procedures
· Attend to phone calls made to the IT Service Desk and record incidents and requests in the ITSM system
· Troubleshoot and resolve incidents and requests or assign them to other IT technicians as appropriate
· Image and manage laptops/desktops pc’s
· Manage and maintain pc accessories
· Track and report the status of incidents and requests and escalate as required
· Maintain and regularly update IT Service Desk Run-books, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Solutions Knowledgebase, and other technical documentation
· Perform regular maintenance tasks
· Provide technical guidance that supports information technology users
· Provide technical guidance to recommend and support the implementation of improvements to Information Technology for IT service users
· Provide programming services to interface with Company business systems
· Provide analytical and design expertise
· Support and drive the achievement of continuous improvement objectives in departments and align corporate quality improvement projects with the requirements of the current and future marketplace
Core Competencies and Skills Required
· Must have a University Degree, College Diploma, or equivalent in Information Technology / Computer Science with 2 years of IT Service Desk or similar IT support experience preferred
- or -
· Must have a minimum of 5 years of related Information Technology experience including 2 years of IT Service Desk or similar IT support experience preferred
· Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills
· Solid understanding of IT systems, software, and processes
· Strong verbal and written communication skills
This is a vacancy in our Salaried Union LU2724 on the L14 Ladder. The internal job title is Systems Assistant.
Job Location: On-site in Sault Ste. Marie, ON
If you meet the qualifications for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, in a community that offers superior quality of life, we encourage you to apply by June 6, 2023. We offer a competitive salary, profit sharing, an Extended Health Benefits Package, and a Defined Contribution Pension Plan.
To apply or to learn more about our company, please visit www.algoma.com.
We are an equal-opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-06-06