Reporting directly to the Program Coordinator, Apprenticeship, the Powerline Technician (PLT) Instructor is responsible to teach, coach, and supervise students in both the classroom and simulation lab.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Instruct Levels 1 through 4 of the Powerline Technician Apprenticeship Technical Training Program as outlined by Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Commission
- Instructional topics include, but are not limited to: pole climbing safety, AC and DC theory, rigging, structures, line work, bonding and grounding, line design and drawings, above ground and underground systems, specific terminology associated with the trade and ground disturbance procedures
- Plan, organize, and manage learning activities and resources in both classroom and lab
- Facilitate a positive learning environment that is student centered, conducive to adult learners, and values diversity
- Uses a variety of instructional methods, materials, and techniques
- Maintain contacts with industry
- Evaluates student progress regularly while maintaining accurate, complete, and up-to-date records including student marks
- Serve as a subject matter expert for any related curriculum development activities
- Proactively develop and deliver standard-aligned content for blended delivery learning. This includes, but is not limited to, tracking students’ learning paths and monitoring content engagement metrics as well as leveraging this actionable data and proven teaching practices to fulfill learner goals
This position requires the ability to make routine decisions regarding the everyday operation of the classes assigned.
- Plans ahead for all assigned duties
- Maintains current knowledge on area of instruction
- Reacts to immediate and changing needs of students
- Provides suggestions for improving program instruction and operating procedures
This position requires regular interaction with students.
- Communicates frequently with students, and other College staff
- Establishes positive rapport with students, industry, and public clients
- Function within the policies and administrative procedures of the College and Accrediting Institution
- Accept other responsibilities as assigned
- Attend all meetings and in-service training as needed
- Travel independently to fulfill the requirements of the position
- Some overnight travel may be required
Knowledge and Skills
- Effective oral and written communication, analytical, conflict resolution, and organizational skills
- Well-established depth of knowledge in powerline work and its practical application in industry
- Demonstrated experience in the use of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel, Teams). Working knowledge of learning management systems (eg. Google Classrooms, Blackboard), or other educational platforms considered an asset.
- Demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to demonstrate all physical aspects of training.
- Ability to work independently but also collaboratively as a member of an instructional team
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrates valuing diversity
Education and Experience
- Interprovincial Red Seal Journeyperson Powerline Technician
- 5 to 10 years recent, relevant experience as a journeyperson Powerline Technician.
- Preference may be given to individuals with prior experience instructing adults or in a leadership position, and those who can demonstrate a strong application of mathematical concepts.
- Qualifications and experience as per Southeast College and/or Saskatchewan Apprenticeship program requirements
Southeast College values diversity and is committed to a representative workforce. Self-declaration is voluntary.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $120,000.00-$145,000.00 per year
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Vision care
- Wellness program
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-06-06
Expected start date: 2023-07-04