At Burnside the difference is our people. Our employees are our greatest asset and by encouraging continuous growth and supporting personal development our organization benefits from the increased skill and leadership capacity that results.
We have an exciting opportunity for an CAD Technician or Technologist to join our Transit Group. This individual would ideally be based out of our Guelph office location, however, consideration would be given to those interested in our Newmarket, Mississauga and Pickering locations too. The preferred candidate will have 3 - 6 years of transit/rail design experience. The Transit Group is involved on projects which include all types and sizes of Transit infrastructure including: new and redeveloped Transit Stations and related rail corridor improvements, parking lot expansions, environmental assessments, large scale Design-Build opportunities and others as required.
As a member of our Transit team, you will work under the direction of a Project Engineer/Project Manager on a variety of transit related projects including light, commuter, or passenger rail system elements and rail, city infrastructure and roadways.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Infrastructure, grading and stormwater management design of public mass transit projects including both site planning and linear infrastructure experience;
- Prepare detailed engineering design documents, grading and servicing designs, for Transit site plans using AutoCAD Civil 3D;
- Support multi-discipline teams to complete transit related design packages;
- Collecting, monitoring and reviewing design submissions, cost estimates, and construction schedules from contractors, public agencies, utility companies, and designer;
- Ensuring continuity of projects through design, tender and construction phases;
- Support project coordination activities including liaising with clients and other consultants as required;
- Ensure quality and timely delivery of project deliverables to meet the client’s needs;
- Other duties as assigned.
Professional Knowledge, Skills & Qualifications
- Diploma from a civil engineering technology program with 3-6 years of related experience
- Computer excellence in AutoCAD Civil 3D with proven skills in surface building, point manipulation, alignments, pipe networks and plan production tools;
- Advanced computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe, 2010 or higher) with demonstrated interest and ability to learn new systems;
- Technical knowledge of light, commuter, or passenger rail system elements including knowledge in the interactions of rail, municipal infrastructure and roadways;
- Professional experience related to the full range of infrastructure delivery methods including Design-Bid-Build (DBB), Design Build (DB), Advanced Public Private Partnerships (P3) and Alternative Finance and Procurement (AFP) models would be considered an asset;
- Interest in supporting initiatives associated with improving quality management, AutoCAD standards, etc.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks;
- High attention to detail and accuracy;
- Good interpersonal, organization and facilitation skills
- Good communication skills and be comfortable in a team environment
Why Choose Burnside?
Are you interested in working for an employer with a 5-decade track record of building a great reputation both internally with their staff and externally with their clients? The Burnside team is a family of colleagues that work together to provide value and service to our clients, while extending care to each other. We know that our employees are our greatest asset, and thus we strive to provide a positive work/life balance.
- A collaborative culture where friendship, honesty and respect are part of our core values and practices
- Flexible working hours and office locations, including hybrid working opportunities
- A competitive compensation and benefits package
- RSP company matching plan
- Career growth and professional development opportunities
- Potential for performance-driven bonusing
- Recruiting bonus / finder’s fee for referrals
- Wellbeing benefit
- Active social committees
- A welcoming, positive, and inclusive work environment
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to valuing diversity in the workplace and we welcome resumes from all qualified candidates. Burnside will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the entire recruitment, assessment, and selection process, as required. If you are a person with a disability and require an accommodation during these processes, please contact our Human Resources department.
Company Profile – More about us:
Founded in 1970, R.J. Burnside & Associates Limited is a growing values-driven employee-owned multidiscipline engineering and environmental consulting firm with over 400 staff. Our consistent commitment towards investing in technology advancements and training, in addition to encouraging and promoting professional development, has enabled our firm to meet our ongoing and stated goal of continual improvement.
We actively seek to develop relationships with a broad and diversified client base in the Public, Private, Indigenous, and International sectors. We work on a variety of projects throughout Canada, with nine office locations in Ontario and one in Manitoba.
Burnside has expertise in many technical disciplines including air and noise, asset management, buildings, environmental planning and ecology, GIS, hydrogeology, land development, landscape architecture, municipal drainage and peer review, solid waste, stormwater management, structures, transportation planning and design, transit, water and wastewater and well drilling & diagnostics.