Staples is an Equal Opportunity Employer who values the diversity of our people, products, and services.
Staples Promotional Products (SPP) leads the industry with design expertise, best in class technology and inspiring creativity. SPP offers hundreds of customizable products – from coolers to notebooks – that allow companies to maximize brand recognition and reach thousands of people at a low cost. Role Summary.
The Managing Director is an active SPP Senior Leadership Team (SLT) member who reports into the President, SPP. This key leadership team member is responsible for guiding the successful operation of SPP Canada and oversight of Marke Creative, UK affiliate to SPP.
As Managing Director, this leader drives the development of the organization’s priorities and objectives. As a strategic visionary, the Managing Director is directly responsible for the financial health and performance of SPP Canada and the success of its operations. Internally, this role is accountable for maximizing profit, topline sales and driving organizational culture and associate engagement. Externally, the Managing Director will establish key long-term relationships with customers, suppliers, and business partners to enhance awareness, market position, and drive SPP’s competitive advantage.
What you’ll be doing:
The Managing Director will provide financial leadership by managing budgets, establishing cross-functional financial stewardship, and executing long term strategic fiscal plans.
What you bring to the table:
- Leads SPP Canada as a knowledgeable and respected brand ambassador, embodying the image and values of the organization.
- Manage a large multi-functional organization of 200+ associates.
- Provide leadership and guidance around operational, financial, and resource related issues/projects.
- Develop senior level contacts with most significant customers and acts as SPP signatory for all contracts for the company.
- Provide oversight to Marke Creative, UK affiliate to SPP and serve as an acting board member.
- Direct the establishment, and ensure compliance, of operational units’ short and long-term goals with overall corporate objectives.
- Full P&L accountability for SPP Canada.
- Oversee SPP Canada’s financial accountability and controls; ensure appropriate fiscal controls are in place to meet statutory compliance and integrity of Data and statements.
- Manage the development, implementation, and tracking of SPP Canada annual budgeting process. Such budgets shall be at sufficient depth to form the basis for the planning process and for financial performance comparisons.
- Oversight re: SPP Canada’s budget process. Follows timelines developed by SPP, VP Finance; provides support to management team; holds management team accountable for process.
- Provide support and overall supervision for all assigned work unit activities through subordinate directors/senior managers to ensure a cohesive operational unit.
- Implement procedures and organizational structure for assigned operating unit within the framework of corporate policy.
- Provide advice, guidance, and direction to subordinate directors and managers regarding their professional development.
- Coordinate and confer with professional staff to resolve operating issues and concerns.
- Manage in-house support staff and supporting consultants and vendors.
- 15+ years of progressive management experience
- Experience in people leadership, vision and strategy development, budgeting, financial management, operations, and cross-functional team management.
- General Management skills – multi-departmental leadership experience.
- Excellent management, negotiating, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team to achieve exemplary results.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
- Able to prioritize and focus associates on appropriate tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to read and interpret financial documents and spreadsheets.
- Works well under pressure and makes deadlines.
- Works effectively in an entrepreneurial and collaborative environment and is able to direct and work in harmony with a diverse group of highly motivated and capable team members.
- Willing and able to exercise the authority entrusted in order to accomplish assigned duties and responsibilities.
- Able to lead, manage, coach, and mentor to enable a high performing team.
- Must be comfortable and competent in a range of venues when there is need to represent the organization.
- Must have a commitment to the vision and mission of the company.
- Demonstrated relationship-building skills. Exceptional judgment and critical thinking skills.
- Able to operate at an executive level, while also having the ability to tactically get things done.
- Possess a strong sense for teamwork and community.
- Ability to handle multiple issues/tasks simultaneously and prioritize effectively in ambiguous situations.
- Able to travel ~30-40%
What’s needed- Preferred Qualifications:
Master’s degree or work experience that demonstrates comparable abilities.
Staples Professional is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and we encourage applications from all qualified candidates, including those with disabilities.
Interested in joining the team? Check out our perks and benefits !