Permanent - Full Time
At SaskPower, we generate more than just electricity for Saskatchewan people. We offer some of the best jobs in the province.
Our challenging careers will help you grow while being surrounded by a fully-committed team, committed to safety, openness, collaboration and accountability. If you’re someone who thrives in a team environment and doesn’t shy away from a good challenge, join us!
Apply no later than 06/21/2023 to be considered for this opportunity.
The Engineer, Technical Services & Research is accountable to research, develop and implement tasks, methodologies, and practices for the corporation. As a member of SaskPower’s management team, this position is responsible for assisting with and/or preparing technical studies, business cases, designs, specifications, tender evaluations, and equipment and construction drawings. This position will prepare project plans, costs, and schedules and provide contract management and project coordination services, ensuring alignment with departmental and corporate strategic goals and objectives.
- Learn and become familiar with assigned technical tasks, methodologies, and practices particularly related to high voltage electrical power system materials and equipment required to design and produce engineered construction standards for use by Engineering, Construction, Operations and Maintenance groups.
- Develop engineered construction standards and drawings incorporating relevant industry codes, utility best practices, stakeholder input, and advances in technology.
- Develop technical material specifications, including Electrification and Grid Modernization components, to support procurement activities and construction standards.
- Conduct forensic root cause failure analysis, including laboratory testing, of high voltage electrical equipment.
- Conduct technical evaluations of material supply competitions.
- Provide technical assistance and direction, including interpretation of standards, for Engineering, Construction, Operations, and Maintenance groups.
- Perform technical and economic analysis of alternative solutions for project business cases, and make recommendations on courses of action.
- Prepare project plans, monitor costs and schedules, and initiate corrective action as appropriate.
- Develop criteria, guidelines, standards, and new practices based upon codes, technologies, and methodologies.
- Provide direction to technologists, technicians, consultants, and management staff.
- Provide direction to staff, consultants and other external technical agencies as required.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering in Electrical (Power Systems).
- Eligible for membership in the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Saskatchewan (APEGS).
- Professional Engineering Designation - P. Eng. and relevant experience in a combination of the following engineering tasks: planning facilities, providing design, construction, operations, commissioning, contract management and coordination of projects.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation or project management experience would be an asset.
- Demonstrated competency in engineering/industry standards, as well as internal processes and procedures.
- Ability to mentor, coach, and support Technologists, Engineers-In-Training, and other resources as required.
- Results oriented thinker, with the ability to manage and provide advice regarding complex and confidential issues with sensitivity and professionalism.
- Ability to work and manage in a changing environment.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent facilitation, project management and decision-making skills.
- Ability to foster a culture focused on safety, innovation, and teamwork.
- Demonstrated skill in SaskPower's Competencies.
- Must have a continuing record of professional development.
- Engineer-In-Training applications will be accepted and may be considered for this position
A suitable combination of relevant education and experience may also be considered
Candidates under consideration may be required to participate in an assessment process consisting of any/all of the following: interview, abilities test, case study and/or presentation.
SaskPower has identified competencies that enable performance and success within each out of scope role at SaskPower. For more information on these job family competencies and those that relate to the position that you are applying on, please visit: https://www.saskpower.com/Careers/Join-Our-Team/competencies
SaskPower offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Diversity and inclusion are also a priority for us. At SaskPower, we are committed to creating an inclusive workplace and having a workforce representative of the communities we serve. We are committed to selections based on merit and to the full participation of diversity groups. These groups include the four equity groups recognized by the Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission: Indigenous Peoples, Members of Visible Minority Groups / Racialized Groups, Persons with Disabilities and Women in Under-Represented Roles, as well as LGBTQ persons and Newcomers to Saskatchewan. Visit our website for details.
To learn more about SaskPower, check us out on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/Poweringthefuture
Keep posted on the latest job openings on Twitter: www.twitter.com/saskpower
Please apply by 06/21/2023.