Job Title: Health and Safety Officer
Location: Kamloops, B.C
Salary: $90,000 to $110,000 - Negotiable
Big Country Equipment is a BC-based heavy equipment service repair company that works with resource-based customers in the construction, forestry, mining, and oil and gas sectors in Western Canada. Big Country Equipment was formed in 2017. We have grown rapidly from a one-truck operation to over 65 employees and a fleet of 25 fully-tooled service trucks, taking care of customers throughout Western Canada 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
The Health and Safety Officer will play a critical role in ensuring the well-being of our employees and promoting a strong safety culture throughout our operations. This individual will be responsible for developing, implementing, and maintaining health and safety policies and programs in compliance with industry standards. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in the oil, gas, and mining industries, and a deep understanding of the unique risks and hazards associated with these sectors. You must be willing to relocate or live in and around the Kamloops area to be considered for this position.
- Develop, implement, and maintain comprehensive health and safety programs, policies, and procedures in line with industry best practices and applicable regulations.
- Conduct regular site inspections and audits to identify potential hazards and ensure compliance with safety standards and regulatory requirements.
- Provide technical guidance and support to management and employees on health and safety matters, including hazard identification, risk assessment, and incident investigation.
- Develop and deliver health and safety training programs to enhance employee awareness and knowledge of safety procedures, hazard recognition, and emergency response.
- Investigate incidents and near misses and collaborate with management to identify root causes and implement corrective and preventive actions.
- Monitor and report on health and safety performance, trends, and key performance indicators to senior management, and recommend continuous improvement initiatives.
- Liaise with regulatory agencies, industry associations, and other stakeholders to keep abreast of changes in health and safety regulations and best practices.
- Participate in emergency response planning and drills and serve as a member of the emergency response team as needed.
- Would be considered an asset to have a bachelor's degree in occupational health and safety, Environmental Science, Engineering, or a related field
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience as a Health and Safety Officer in the oil, gas, and/or mining industries.
- Extensive knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Regulations, Workers Compensation, as well as related Provincial and Municipal regulations and legislation
- In-depth knowledge of applicable health and safety regulations and industry best practices.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and training skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and experience with health and safety management software.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment and adapt to changing priorities.
- Willingness to travel to various worksites, as required.
As part of our Hiring Process, YOU will be asked to:
- Complete drug and alcohol screening with a negative result.
- Provide copies of current certifications (if you do not have any of the training required. to be on site, we will provide it for you)
- Clean drivers abstract and valid class 5 license.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.