September 20, 2023
ESL / LINC Instructor
Casual – On Call
To teach English Language to eligible adult immigrants and refugees who have been assessed within Canadian Language
Benchmark (CLB) 1 to 8 providing current settlement-based and employment and labour market related curriculum in accordance with funder guidelines. To utilize Portfolio Based Language Assessment. To participate as a member of the
Immigrant Services team in support of students and their families to adapt and settle successfully into the community.
Education, Training and Experience:
- Recognized university degree in English, Linguistics / Languages or other related field.
- TESL Certificate recognized by TESL Canada.
- Current Canadian Language Benchmark training.
- Portfolio Based Learning Assessment training.
- Experience teaching settlement-based curriculum.
- Strong understanding of immigrant and refugee settlement issues in Canada.
- Minimum three (3) years’ recent experience teaching English as a second language to adults.
Job Skills and Ability:
- Must be competent in written and spoken English.
- Ability to work collaboratively with the Immigrant Services team and other teams at Chilliwack Community
Services in supporting immigrant and refugee families to settle and adapt successfully.
- Strong technology skills and computer literate.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. In accordance with CLBs and funder guidelines, to develop and enhance settlement-based curriculum and teach
English language tailored to the needs of the students and the Chilliwack Immigrant community.
2. To deliver a program that provides basic orientation to Canada and Canadian culture as well as the workplace and the labour market, and encourage and support successful adaptation.
3. To prepare and retain lesson plans appropriate to adult language learning, upgrading them as appropriate and according to students’ needs. To solicit input from students regarding their learning needs and how to meet them.
4. To incorporate a variety of teaching such as role playing, work in pairs and groups, audio-visual materials, field trips, experiential learning, etc., and methods that cater to the differing learning styles and needs of all the students.
5. To provide regular one-on-one feedback to students on their progress and to evaluate them on a regular and periodic basis drawing from CLBs.
6. To discuss lack of progress with students and explore alternatives with the student in overcoming obstacles.
7. To assess students’ progress on a frequent, pre-arranged timetable.
8. To utilize the Portfolio Based Language Assessment (PBLA) model. This model includes facilitating needs assessments, goal setting, and learning reflections, creating and administering assessments, ensuring assessments are collected and documented into student binders called Language Companions, completing Learner Progress
Reports, and reviewing student progress within regular student conferences.
9. To make effective use of trained volunteers to support students’ learning. To assign specific tasks to volunteers and debrief with them regarding students’ performance and progress.
10. To collaborate with Immigrant Services team in supporting overall family cultural adjustment and effective delivery of language instruction.
11. With the approval of the Supervisor, to plan and conduct field trips, and arrange guest speakers and special events in consultation with other program staff.
12. To maintain open communication and cooperation with the Supervisor in regards to all aspects of the program and team functioning.
13. To maintain student attendant register and keep appropriate records (i.e. daily lesson planner).
14. To ensure funder and Agency Standards are met and to submit program reports on a monthly basis to the
15. To attend meetings and workshops as directed.
16. Complete all mandatory learning requirements.
17. Performs other relevant duties as required.
▪ Wage rate as per BCGEU Collective Agreement, ESL Instructor, Grid Level 14P - $37.55 per hour plus 10.6% in lieu of benefits.
▪ This position requires Union membership.
▪ This position is open to all persons.
▪ This position requires successful completion of a criminal record check.
▪ This position reports to the Immigrant Services Language Coordinator.
Please mention the name of the job position you are applying for in your cover letter.
NO phone calls. Only short listed applicants will be contacted.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to:
Chilliwack Community Services
45938 Wellington Avenue, Chilliwack, BC V2P 2C7
Fax: 604.792.6575 Email: [email protected]
Closing Date: 12:00 Noon, October 04, 2023
Job Type: Casual
Salary: $37.55 per hour
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-10-04