Job Title: Prep Cook
Job Location: The Railwork Lounge located inside the Raven Inn Hotel in Downtown Whitehorse.
Our Hotel is looking for a Prep Cook to help the Lead Cook and other kitchen staff in order to meet the rising demand in our dining rooms. The Prep Cook will be responsible for taking an ongoing inventory of ingredients to ensure nothing is running low, cutting up vegetables, preparing side dishes and getting salads ready for special events and regular dining hours. If you have previous kitchen experience in a Hotel setting, we want to hear from you.
- Follow the prep list created by lead cook to plan duties.
- Label and stock all ingredients on shelves so they can be organized and easily accessible.
- Measure ingredients and seasonings to be used in cooking.
- Prepare cooking ingredients by washing and chopping vegetables, carve and trim meats etc.
- Perform basic cooking tasks such as stirring, straining, and parboiling food, reducing sauces’, etc.
- Prepare simple dishes such as salads, entrees etc.
- Maintain a clean and orderly kitchen by washing dishes, sanitizing surfaces, taking out trash etc., to ensure safe and sanitary food-handling practices.
- Ensure freshness of food and ingredients by checking for quality, keeping track of old and new items, rotating stock, and making sure all items are stored properly.
- Knows and complies consistently with the restaurant’s standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures as well as nutrition and sanitation guidelines.
- Use manual and electric equipment for food preparation.
- Update supervisors when stock of food items or supplies are low.
- Maintain records of quantities of foods and ingredients used.
- Substitute for or assist other cooks during emergencies or rush periods.
- Inform managers about broken or malfunctioning equipment.
- Maintain a positive and professional approach to coworkers and customers.
- Closes the kitchen following the closing checklist for kitchen stations and assists other is closing the kitchen.
- Attend all scheduled employee meetings and offers suggestions for improvement.
- Perform other kitchen and related duties assigned by the management staff.
- Job environment requires the candidate to lift 50 lbs on a daily basis and be aware of safe work practices, health and safety and other practices. Candidate to maintain food safety certificates applicable in Yukon Territory.
We look forward to reviewing your application. Please apply by emailing your resume directly to info(at)therailwork.com
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Permanent
Salary: $17.00-$21.00 per hour
- 10 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Whitehorse, YT: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (preferred)
- Cooking: 1 year (preferred)
Work Location: In person