About Offworld Industries:
Offworld Industries Ltd. (OWI) is the independent studio behind the successful military first-person shooter game, “Squad”. OWI was formed in 2014 by more than 15 developers who had worked together on the well known Project Reality mod for Battlefield 2. The founding purpose of the team was to bring a standalone successor of this acclaimed mod to market and build a game development studio and a livelihood from that foundation.
Fast forward to 2023, OWI has nearly 130 employees and is rapidly growing. We have been expanding the studio into serving as a publisher supporting mods and have just released our new title into early access, "Starship Troopers: Extermination", a 16-player PvE first-person shooter based on the 1997 cult-classic film.
We are built on passion, unified spirit and continuing efforts to break the mold. We strive to become a leader in creating large-scale multiplayer games as well as supplying others with the ability to do the same. Joining the Central Tech team as a Build Engineer is an opportunity to work closely with creative and technical teams to deliver solutions that support highly regarded game titles at Offworld Industries. The ideal candidate must have experience with CI/CD build systems, such as Jenkins, TeamCity, and GitLab CI/CD, and with managing build and release pipelines for games built on the Unreal Engine (4 and/or 5).
They will be passionate about reducing manual work via automation while supporting the development team to ensure the delivery of changes is efficient, reliable, and well understood. They will leverage continuous delivery principles such as automation, continuous improvement, and a constant drive for quality to set the game teams up for success. With a curious nature, they will stay current with developments in the community, empowering others in the studio to pursue quality in their work.
- Developing, maintaining, and improving Unreal-Engine-based game build CI/CD
pipelines and related tools to reduce wait times and lower operational costs.
- Developing and improving scalable and maintainable infrastructure, on premise and in
the cloud, for delivering our games and their contents efficiently, effectively, and timely.
- Being a champion of automation to solve build, testing, and content delivery challenges
on AAA-quality games.
- Collaborating with game teams to optimize their respective workflows on the build
- Implementing, deploying, and operating testing and profiling frameworks for our games.
- Establishing best practices for test automation and helping game teams adopt them in
the development and release cycles.
- Upholding code quality and implementing sustainable operational practices for
automated testing tools.
- Implementing or integrating solutions for build distribution across all supported platforms.
- Coordinating and managing the build and deployment workflows and processes for
multiple products on multiple hardware platforms to various app stores.
- Developing robust workflows to deploy changes in a LiveOps environment.
- Designing and documenting new processes relating to the build and testing systems.
- Surveying and notification of console development changes in support of the game
- Being innovative when opportunities arise, being conservative when sensible.
- Taking responsibility for your own work and contributing to an environment where others
feel enabled to do the same.
- Demonstrating a strong sense of initiative and ownership.
- Participating in peer code reviews to learn, teach, and advocate for high coding
- CI/CD build systems such as TeamCity and Jenkins for building a game on the Unreal
Engine for PC and various console platforms - previous experience with managing and
operating build systems is essential
- In-depth knowledge of Perforce - our build systems are tightly integrated with Perforce.
- Know how to setup a performant build and release pipeline using tools provided by the Unreal
Engine, including but not limited to the Unreal Build Tool, the Automation System,
BuildGraph, and UnrealGameSync.
- Broad understanding of automated testing methodologies.
- Kotlin for TeamCity and/or JobDSL and Groovy for Jenkins.
- Python for just about anything.
- Good working knowledge of Powershell, batch, and shell scripting, and other scripting
languages commonly used in build engineering - these are in use in our system, so
having a good understanding would help with the role.
- Software development in the games industry, including technical fundamentals in
software development, and scripting and build architecture.
- How to communicate effectively, with strong written and verbal skills in addition to the
ability to write concise, understandable technical documentation.
- How to collaborate effectively across multiple disciplines in a creative environment.
- Scrum or other Agile methodologies.
- Experience using Unreal Engine 5.
- C# - the Unreal Engine build tools are written in C#, so experience with the language
can be beneficial.
- C++ - we are using Unreal Engine for our games development, so experience with the
language can be beneficial.
- Building for and distributing to console platforms in a AAA game studio for an Unreal
- AAA game development, e.g., Unreal or Unity - previous experience working with build
systems for modern AAA games engines is a plus.
- Servicing a live product.
- Incredibuild or similar distributed build tools.
- Test Engineering principles and practices.
- Automated testing systems, game patching systems, and server deployment.
- Virtualization and containerization methodologies and best practices.
- Container orchestration and management tools (e.g, Docker, Kubernetes, etc.)
- Cloud Infrastructure, such as AWS, Azure, GCP, or similar.
- Infrastructure automation tools (e.g., Terraform, CDK, Ansible, etc.)
This is a full-time permanent position.
This role offers:
- Health and dental benefits
- Wellness spending account
- Retirement savings plan
- 3 weeks of paid vacation and 2 weeks of paid studio shutdown over the December holiday period
- Wonderful colleagues!
If you meet the above qualifications, and OWI sounds like the kind of company you want to be a part of, please apply now with a copy of your resume.
Offworld Industries is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, language, citizenship, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, physical and/or mental handicap, financial ability or any other characteristic protected by law.