Tulmar designs, manufactures, and distributes engineered protective textiles, survivability and safety solutions for the Aerospace, Defense and Public Security industries.
Headquartered in Hawkesbury, Ontario, Tulmar operates a modern 60,000 square foot facility with equipment ranging from computerized cutting tables, stitching machines R.F. (radio frequency) welding and heat-sealing equipment to highly sophisticated testing and certification equipment including cold temperature test chambers, inertia reel testing equipment and computerized measurement and test equipment for quality inspection.
We are currently looking for a Product Designer - Manufacturing to join a dynamic & close-knit team!
Under the guidance of the VP of Engineering & Design or delegate, the Product Designer - Manufacturing is responsible for developing, maintaining, and improving assigned products & processes to ensure customer expectations and specifications are met in a cost-effective manner.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Designing, developing, implementing, continuously improving and training stakeholders on products, manufacturing technology, tooling, processes, documentation, methods, and equipment.
- Creating Engineering Drawings and 3D model.
- Managing assigned projects (scope, budget, timeline, resources, sub-contractors, etc.).
- Planning, executing, and documenting validation tests (products, processes, materials etc.).
- Creating engineering documentation (product, process, material specifications, BOMs, routings, cutting schedules, patterns, work instructions, cost estimations, etc.).
- Writing technical documentation (proposals, reports, manuals, etc.).
- Maintaining part number library (ERP) and master engineering files.
- Supporting compliance with the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Creating and reviewing quality documentation (audits, evaluations, clauses, FPI / PPAP, weld, MRB, etc.) and supporting supplier quality development.
- Troubleshooting & Improving manufacturing processes to drive efficiency and high quality while updating applicable documentations.
What you need to succeed:
- Completion of a college program in a relevant industry with 4-8 years of experience or any equivalent combination of education and/or experience
- Knowledge of related manufacturing technology such as mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, and hydraulic systems, RF/ultrasonic/heat welding of plastics, metal welding, sewing, adhesive bonding.
- Knowledge of effective manufacturing principles and techniques (Lean, Kaizen, Kanban, Poke-yoke, JIT, 5S etc.).
- Excellent knowledge of CAD drafting and 3-D modeling (Solid Edge).
- Experience working in regulated industry and familiar with industry standards such as:
- ISO9001, AS9100, ASTM, ASME, CARs, OHSA, Military specs used in engineered textile and military industry would be an asset.
- Project management experience,
- Strong organizational and English as well as French communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to manage time effectively, facilitate meetings, conduct training and to present information in an advisory capacity.
- Strong decision-making skills.
- Ability to read, manipulate and create engineering and business documents including contracts, drawings, manuals, test plans, orders, requisitions etc. in an ISO 9001 / AS9100 environment.
- Ability to apply engineering base concept of forces, stress, strain, material properties and assembly methods to create well thought, safe, clever design.
- Hands-on, with a common sense yet calculated approach to troubleshooting, identifying root cause and systematically solving problems.
- Strong computer skills in a MSOffice environment.
- Ability to travel as required by the position.
- Valid driver’s license and passport.
- Must pass a security check to satisfy Canadian Controlled Goods and US ITAR requirements.
- Ability to deal with various requests and/or projects while maintaining work efficiency through good prioritisation.
- Team-orientated; and
- Flexible and willing to accept new challenges.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Hawkesbury, ON K6A 2B8: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: In person