Sandhill is looking for an experienced Heavy-Duty Mechanic to work at our aggregate mine in Kitimat, BC.
The right candidate is required to have relevant experience in the heavy construction and/or mining industries. Candidates are expected to be safety-minded, organized, and adaptable. This role reports directly to the VP Equipment and Logistics.
This is a permanent position starting as soon as possible. Workers can expect to work 10-hour days on a rotation that is to be determined upon hiring based on the residential location of the successful candidate. Occasional travel to other job sites for extended periods of time (1-week or more) is possible.
Sandhill offers a competitive benefits package and fair compensation as well as RRSP matching. Overtime pay is provided. Accommodations along with a living out allowance (LOA) is provided for non-local workers.
Sandhill is offering a signing bonus of $1,000 after the successful completion of a 3-month probation period.
- Journeyperson Heavy Duty Mechanic or Red Seal Trades Certification
- Valid driver’s license (class 5 minimum)
- Possibly with air brakes endorsement
- Adaptable with multi-tasking and problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Oral and interpersonal communication skills
- On-the-job training is provided
- Experience: working with crusher and/or wash plants; as a millwright; with line boring; mentoring apprentices
- Construction or mining background
- First aid and/or other safety-related certifications
- Servicing, Repair, and Maintenance – Check bulldozers, excavator, graders, loaders, rock trucks, and other heavy construction, agricultural, logging, and mining equipment for proper performance and inspect equipment to detect faults and malfunctions. Diagnose faults or malfunctions using computerized and other testing equipment to determine extent of repair required. Adjust equipment and repair or replace defective parts, components, or systems, using hand and power tools. Test repaired equipment for proper performance and to ensure that work meets manufacturers' specifications. Clean, lubricate and perform other routine maintenance work on equipment. Service attachments and working tools such blades, buckets, winches, and booms.
- Welding – Install, align, dismantle, and move stationary and mobile industrial machinery and mechanical equipment. Operate hoisting and lifting devices such as cranes, jacks, and tractors to position machinery and parts during installation, setup, and repair. Inspect and examine machinery and equipment to detect and investigate irregularities and malfunctions. Install, troubleshoot, and maintain systems and machinery. Adjust machinery and repair or replace defective parts. Operate machine tools required during overhaul, maintenance, or setup of machinery.
- Service Truck Maintenance – Conduct pre-trip inspections before shift and report any issues found. Clean, lubricate, and refill equipment when not performed by an on-site serviceperson.
- Standard Corporate Responsibilities – Maintain the stability and reputation of the organization by complying with legal requirements. Conserve resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish the job results. Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed. Be conversant with relevant sections of the Safety Program. Understand WorkSafeBC acts and regulations, as well as the Health, Safety and Reclamation Code for Mines in BC.
To apply, qualified applicants should email a copy of their resume and reference “HD Mechanic”. This listing will close when the position has been filled. Only candidates considered for the position will be contacted.
Job Type: Permanent
Salary: $45.00-$50.00 per hour
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- RRSP match
- Vision care
Flexible Language Requirement:
- 10 hour shift
- Day shift
Supplemental pay types:
- Journeyman or Red Seal HD Mechanic Certification (required)
Work Location: In person