Natural Resources Canada - Energy Efficiency and Technology Sector, CanmetMATERIALS-Hamilton
$88,989 to $108,127
Closing date: 12 October 2023 - 23:59, Pacific Time
Who can apply:
Persons residing in Canada, and Canadian citizens and Permanent residents abroad.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
You must meet all essential qualifications to be appointed to the position. Other qualifications may be a deciding factor in choosing the person to be appointed. Some essential and other qualifications will be assessed through your application. It is your responsibility to provide appropriate examples that illustrate how you meet each qualification. Failing to do so could result in your application being rejected.
In your response to the screening questions, please provide concrete examples and the following information:
1. Name of the department or organization where the experience was acquired;
2. Title of the position occupied and duration for which you exercised the functions;
3. Specific details of tasks, projects, or accomplishments demonstrating how the experience was acquired.
Please note that point form, “copy and paste” from your resume and comments such as “refer to my attached resume” will NOT be accepted. Failure to provide this information in the requested format WILL result in your application being rejected.
- NOTE: Please note your application and your answers to the screening questionnaire may be used to assess your ability to communicate effectively in writing.
The intent of this process is to staff one (1) 2-year determinate position located in Hamilton, Ontario.
A pool of fully or partially qualified candidates may be established through this process to staff identical or similar positions within Natural Resources Canada with various tenures (determinate period or indeterminate), various language requirements, various security requirements, various conditions of employment and for various locations.
Positions to be filled: 1
A covering letter "Candidates must clearly demonstrate how they meet all the essential qualifications, as well as any asset qualifications listed (if applicable), in their covering letter. Candidates should use the experience, education and asset qualifications as headers and then write concrete examples demonstrating how they meet these factors. Resumes may be used as a means to validate the information provided. Failure to provide sufficient information may result in the candidate being screened out. The breadth and depth of experience will be considered when making selections from the qualified pool."
- Graduation with a degree from a recognized post-secondary institution in materials or corrosion engineering, or some other engineering specialty relevant to the duties of the position.
- Experience carrying out experiments, trials, tests and analytical or modeling studies and evaluating results.
- Experience designing and developing testing systems and techniques.
- Experience preparing technical reports.
- Experience in collaborating with industry.
- Willing to work with air-purifying respirators and supplied-air breathing apparatus.
Various language requirements
Information on language requirements
- Knowledge of engineering theories, principles and practices in the field of corrosion science or electrochemistry.
- Knowledge of engineering theories, principles and practices in the field of materials science.
- Demonstrating integrity and respect
- Thinking things through
- Working effectively with others
- Showing initiative and being action-oriented
- Client service orientation
- Time management
- Written and oral communication
- Ability to independently set up experiments.
- Ability to plan and conduct research projects.
- Knowledge of project management principles and practices
- Knowledge of nuclear materials and nuclear physics.
Natural Resources Canada is committed to establishing and maintaining a representative workforce. This organizational need may be identified as part of the appointment decision. In such cases, qualified candidates who self-declare as members of a visible minority group, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities or women (in non-traditional occupations) could be considered in priority.
Reliability Status security clearance
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Information on employment equity
Reference checks may be sought.
An interview may be administered.
A test may be administered.
You must provide proof of your education credentials.
Persons are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language(s) of their choice.
A random and/or top down selection of candidates may be used in the determination of those to be given further consideration in the assessment process.
Preference will be given to veterans first and then to Canadian citizens and permanent residents, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
Information on the preference to veterans
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.