We are looking for a professional Sous Chef to be the second in command in our kitchen, following our Executive Chef’s specifications and guidelines. The successful candidate will employ its culinary and managerial skills in order to play a critical role in maintaining and enhancing our customers’ satisfaction.
- Perform restaurant food preparation (daily raw prep, cooked prep and/or butchering) and work the cooks’ line (as the Pantry, Broil, Sides Cook or Expediter) as scheduled by the restaurant Chef.
- Conduct thorough walk-through of operation prior to opening each day.
- Perform weekly inventory and correctly place and receive orders for meat, seafood, poultry, dairy, produce and other kitchen operating supplies.
- Supervise line cooks to determine what needs to be prepared prior to start of
- Conduct line check prior to service to ensure quality product and preparations.
- Expedite orders at the window; monitor timing, temperature and food quality.
- Track product usage and prepares daily prep sheets according to established par and inventory levels, based upon product shelf life, to ensure sufficient quality, quantity and back-up for the day’s business.
- Facilitate staff meeting prior to shift to cover special needs, events and or issues for the day.
- Provide back up at each station as necessary.
- Provide ongoing feedback and direction to back of house staff to promote high standards, execution and results.
- Supervise the kitchen operations, food quality and preparation, and staff job performance in the absence of the Chef.
- Assist the Chef in maintaining all safety, security, sanitation, and cleanliness and housekeeping standards for the restaurant.
- Review sales and assist the Chef in achieving food, labor and other operating expense budgets.
- Construct the weekly kitchen work schedule to meet the demands of the business, within the perimeters of the restaurant’s kitchen labor budget, as directed by the Chef
- Inspect equipment and identify maintenance issues.Help in the preparation and design of all food and drinks menus
- Proven experience as a Culinary Artisanal
- Understanding of various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and procedures
- Excellent record of kitchen and staff management
- Accuracy and speed in handling emergency situations and providing solutions
- Familiar with industry’s best practices
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $50,000.00-$53,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Discounted or free food
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
Flexible Language Requirement:
- 10 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- Morning shift
- Weekends as needed
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Halifax, NS: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Do you live in Halifax, Nova Scotia and have proper documentation to work in Canada?
- Cooking: 4 years (required)
- Day Shift (required)
- Night Shift (required)
Work Location: In person
Expected start date: 2023-10-10