The Automotive Apprentice works in a fast-paced auto service environment, providing superior expertise to customers and the automotive team in automotive systems, diagnostics and repairs. Communication skills are essential to succeed in this position. The Licensed Automotive Technician Apprentice builds customer loyalty and retention through trust, workmanship and reputation.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Provides an excellent customer experience by ensuring an ongoing commitment to the needs of the customer and their vehicle.
- Explains procedures and repairs and any additional maintenance work required to customers in an effort to attain a trusting relationship and long-term retention.
- Liaises with Management/Service Advisors/Installers and Back Parts Window Associate to ensure a smooth flow of communication during repairs or maintenance work and that all commitments are achieved.
- Provides accurate estimates and written vehicle reports for all work performed.
- Provides quality workmanship to meet or exceed industry standards.
- Performs tasks in compliance with industry flat rate time allowances.
- Ensures that an unsafe vehicle is reported to management and the vehicle owner.
- Ensures vehicles are kept clean and free of damage by using seat covers and floor mats.
- Deals with challenging situations in a professional manner.
- Performs accurate and complete vehicle inspections, diagnostics and repairs.
- Performs daily bay inspections in order to ensure shop neatness/cleanliness.
- Instructs monitors and verifies work completed by apprentices. Shares skill set and knowledge with staff members.
- Estimates cost and time for service and repair needs on the customer’s vehicle to Service Advisor.
- Completes and reviews repair orders and vehicle inspection reports with customers and/or service advisors.
- Maintains company and personally-owned equipment and tools, as required.
- Remains current with up-to-date knowledge of the operation, maintenance and repair of most domestic and imported vehicles.
- Performs road tests in compliance with store policy.
- Complies with company, store and Automotive Service Centre policies.
- Abides by all health and safety programs and regulations. Reports any observed or potential hazards immediately.
- Completes other tasks, as required.
- Knowledge of current automobile technology.
- Valid mechanic’s license and driver’s licence for province of employment.
- Ability to work effectively with computerized systems.
- Good working knowledge of CoStar is considered an asset.
- Experience in a similar role, in a Canadian Tire Auto Service Centre, is considered an asset.
Required Skills and Abilities
Successful candidates will demonstrate the following competencies:
- Strong orientation towards customer service excellence.
- Strong belief in the Canadian Tire Values of honesty, integrity and respect.
- Ability to serve customers in a professional manner and to inspire their confidence and trust.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, customer-focused environment.
- Strong communication skills, ability to listen carefully and to give precise instructions.
- Aptitude for building and maintaining interpersonal relations, both with customers and coworkers.
- Ability to plan, organize, delegate and follow-up on daily tasks.
- Ability to resolve problems and make decisions.
- Ability to work in a team environment to achieve common goals.
- Ability to adapt and cope with pressure.
- Entrepreneurial and results oriented.
Potential Career Opportunities
- Next levels: Service Advisor, Department Manager and Service Manager.
- Other automotive opportunities in a large network of more than 485 Canadian Tire Automotive Service Centres across the country.
- Career opportunities across the larger Canadian Tire family (Canadian Tire Petroleum, PartSource, Mark's, FGL Sports Ltd, Canadian Tire Corporation Limited and Canadian Tire Financial Services).
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
In compliance with the store’s Health and Safety Policies and Procedures:
- Standing/walking for 8 hours.
- Lifting and/or carrying of merchandise items, as required, on a regular, frequent and unassisted basis. Merchandise items may vary in weight from “light” to “heavy”.
- Lifting and turning repeatedly throughout the shift.
- Lifting above the shoulder, from floor to shoulder and floor to waist.
- Going up and down a ladder while carrying merchandise.
- Walking and carrying things at the same time and pushing/pulling, as required.
- Twisting, turning, reaching and working above shoulder level.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.