At Parkland, our purpose is to Power Journeys & Energize Communities. We are a prominent independent supplier and marketer of fuel and petroleum products and a leading convenience store operator. As One Parkland team, we proudly serve diverse retail, commercial and wholesale customers across Canada, the United States, the Caribbean region, and South America. We power a growing family of locally known brands including Ultramar, Bluewave Energy, Pipeline, Chevron, Columbia Fuels, Island Petroleum, and Sparlings Propane.
We recognize that diversity gives us an edge and inclusion propels us forward. We’re also a passionate team of down-to-earth achievers, committed to getting our customers, colleagues and communities further, faster. As such, we welcome talented individuals that have a variety of perspectives, backgrounds, and industry experience who will contribute to the success of our One Parkland team.
Position Title: Territory Manager, Corporate
Team and Location: Retail - Lower Mainland, BC
Starting Minimum Salary from: $ 80,500 /year
The Territory Manager is a key decision maker and primary point of contact on all operational activities at approximately 20 Company Owned Retail locations. The TM owns HSE, champions operational excellence, manages direct reporting of the sites, and is responsible for performance & development of Retailers by providing leadership and aligning Retailers to execute on Parkland’s vision by executing strategically in a specified territory. This role leads execution and collaborates with various stakeholders externally as well as internally within the organization. The TM owns and builds the Retailer pipeline and development of future retailers, to build a targeted list of best-in-class retailers for the immediate and long-term future growth of PKI retail sites. This role requires a person who can perform under pressure. It is largely based “in the field” with significant travel and customer interfaces on a regular basis. This role leads the needs internally and externally, and collaborates very closely with all the other marketing, merchandising, loyalty, and retail leads. The CORO TM is a strong leader that drives accountability and has a high financial acumen while managing all aspects of a P&L for each site.
- Champion Parkland’s HS&E programs to ensure all territory sites are working in a safe environment and adhering to local, provincial, and federal legislation related to the environment and ensuring all food safety regulations are followed.
- Lead Retailer recruitment by creating a strong pipeline of Retailers through successful selection, training, onboarding, and performance development by providing leadership and coaching on all aspects of the business.
- Strategically review own markets and create action plans to achieve budgeted numbers in a financial year through sales optimization in C-Store and fuel volumes by leading compliance on our national retail programs.
- P/L Ownership- top line, OPEX, MG&A, EBIDTA and focusing on other cost control measures i.e., gross margin, food cost, food wastage, labor, repairs and maintenance.
- Maintain a strong understanding of territory pricing tactics and competitive activities to drive traffic to the forecourt and backcourt.
- Drive the territory day-to-day business by entrepreneurially leading, initiating and managing activities involved in selling food, convenience store merchandise, fuel and propelling the brand(s) to ensure quality control in daily operations.
- Collaborate with assigned Field Merchandising Manager to support merchandising execution excellence at site level.
- Support merchandising program execution at sites focusing on planograms, promotions, signage, displays, racking, product availability and sales building tools.
- Leads, collaborates, and delivers on many key projects and site openings, collaborates, and leads the training/opening of any new or converted sites.
- Complete Operational Excellence Evaluations and other compliance evaluations as required.
- Participate in the development of the annual operating budget by site resulting in an overall territory budget for gross margin, food sales, c-store sales, volume, and operating expenses.
- Monitor territory site level results and develop/implement action plans as required.
- Ensure that the food production plans are regularly amended to maximize profitability for each location through a combination of sales optimization and waste control.
- Complete ad-hoc assignments as directed by the Regional Operations Manager
- All other duties as required
Qualifications and Skills:
- Post-secondary education in management, with a solid retail, sales, and marketing background.
- Minimum 1 to 3 years of food service management experience, preferably in a multi-unit environment.
- Minimum of 5 to 8 years’ experience, direct retail experience within a multi-unit business model, preferably food/convenience store industry
- Proven interpersonal skills with the ability to negotiate
- Proven assertive sales and marketing skills
- Ability to think and act professionally in pressure situations
- Must be able to make difficult decisions that are based on sound data / information and that are in the best interest of Parkland. Must be able to view situations from all perspectives and must be fair in assessments and be able to strike a balance in making judgment calls.
- Site Operations – ability to enforce safety and company standards
- Financial Management – Results focused on P&L’s and budgeting
- Computer Skills – proficiency is expected with the use of Excel, Word, Accounting Systems, E–Mail
- This role requires a person who is able to perform under pressure. It is largely based “in the field” with significant customer interfaces on a regular basis
- Willingness to travel and/or overnight travel is required (50%-75% travel). Valid driver’s license and clean driver’s abstract is required.
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Our Performance-based Annual Incentive Plan, an annual bonus awarding your performance.
- A share in our success through the Employee Share Purchase Plan and 100% company matching.
- A flexible group benefit plan that offers health and dental coverage choices to meet the needs of each unique employee. Inclusive of life and disability insurances, Health Care and Lifestyle Spending options, and a supportive Employee and Family Assistance Program.
- Participation in Parkland Pledge, an employee-driven charitable giving program.
- An employee referral program – earn up to $2000 for your referral.
- In-house learning and development opportunities, leadership training, international opportunities.
- Discount Programs and Educational Scholarship Programs for family members.
- A safety focused work environment and ongoing safety training.
- Candidates must be legally able to work in Canada at this time. Parkland regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas.
- Parkland Corporation is committed to the principles of Employment Equity. We strive to provide accessibility in employment to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. Parkland Corporation will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability, please notify us upon scheduling your interview.
- Please note that final candidates for this position will be required to undergo a confidential pre-employment background check which may include but not be limited to educational, criminal, credit, drug and alcohol and/or Fitness for Duty testing.
This position will close when a successful candidate is found.
Commercial Brand: Columbia Fuels.