Lead Hand – Afternoon Shift
Location: 12516 184th Street NW Edmonton, T5V 1T4
Reports to: Service Manager
Job Status: Full-time; Permanent
Hours of Work: Monday – Thursday; 2PM – 12AM
Take your career to new heights and join TIP Group, a top equipment service provider in Canada and Europe! Our trailer leasing, rental, maintenance, and repair services, keep transportation and logistics moving smoothly. Our global reach connects industries and economies.
We believe in rewarding our employees for their exceptional skills and dedication. That’s why we offer our employees a range of attractive benefits that set us apart from the rest:
· Technicians are eligible for a signing bonus of $2,500.
· We provide above average pay rates with hourly premiums for afternoon shifts and mobiles.
· Paid Vacation and an additional 5 Personal Days.
· $300 Boot Allowance and $500 Tool Allowance Annually.
· Prescription safety glasses program.
· Company provided Shop Coveralls and PPE.
· Employer paid benefits package that goes beyond the basics, with up to $500 Healthcare Spending Account and EAP Program.
· Pension plan with matching.
· Recognition programs and awards.
· Opportunities for growth and development.
As the Lead Hand for our Edmonton location, you will be responsible for directly supervising and coordinating the activities of mechanics on the assigned shift.
Your key responsibilities will be the following:
Quality and Productivity:
· Ensure high-quality trailer repairs are completed, aiming for 'get it right the first time' results.
· Maintain accurate trailer condition ratings on both work orders and trailers.
· Verify completed work orders upon job completion.
· Confirm the accuracy of the trailer physical characteristics sheet during work order verification.
· Document suspected chargebacks by taking pictures and notes.
· Re-torque tagged trailers after wheel work and sign off.
· Set aside and tag removed parts for potential warranty assessment by the Parts Department.
· Ensure technicians adhere to their schedules and tasks align with their strengths.
· Promote a culture of respect and productivity on the shop floor.
· Minimize bay wait times by overseeing shunt drivers.
· Collaborate with the management team to equip the service center appropriately.
· Offer support to experienced journeymen and guide apprentices as needed.
· Ensure timely completion of shop shift and equipment inspections as per the inspection program (daily, weekly, monthly), resolving any identified issues.
· Oversee shop safety procedures, including proper PPE use, and address unsafe behaviors with Technicians. Report all safety concerns to the Service Manager.
· Maintain a "Kaizen" shop environment: shine, straighten, sweep, standardize, sustain.
· Contribute to fostering and sustaining a culture of continuous improvement.
To be successful you’ll need to have the following skills and abilities:
· 2 - 5 years of experience in a shop at a leadership/management level.
· High school diploma or equivalent; vocational training in trailer repair.
· Proven experience as a Trailer Service Technician or similar role.
· Knowledge of trailer systems, including electrical, suspension, braking, and structural components.
· Licensed Commercial Trailer Technician Certification.
· Experience in fabrication, welding and/or tailgate repairs (considered an asset).
· Be a collaborative team player with good written and oral communication.
· Safely able to lift up to 85 pounds.
Don’t miss out on an incredible opportunity to be a part of the TIP Family and grow with our team.
Thank you for your application to TIP Fleet Services Canada Ltd. We are part of the TIP Group of Companies - https://www.tip-canada.ca/. All applications will be reviewed carefully by our team. Please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
TIP Fleet Services Canada Ltd. supports diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accessible and inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. If you require an accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Flexible Language Requirement:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Edmonton, AB T5V 1T4: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Leadership: 2 years (required)
- Journeyman Commercial Trailer Technician Certification (required)
Work Location: In person